• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roller rockers for 319?

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
What's up with this? Cause I know a lot of us has considered a roller rocker kit that can beat Yella Terra's price of like $440... Just FWIW :wave1:

thats new, good find!

PurpleCherokee said:
What's up with this? Cause I know a lot of us has considered a roller rocker kit that can beat Yella Terra's price of like $440... Just FWIW :wave1:

On the face of it, they look like very good value but they are not a simple bolt-on replacement for the stock rockers.

1. These use 3/8" studs so the rocker bolt bosses in the head will need to be drilled and tapped from a 5/16" to a 3/8" thread.

2. The rocker bolt bosses need to be shortened by 0.400".

3. The valve cover CCV baffles need to be shortened to provide adequate clearance.

4. Since these are stud mounted rockers, you'll need pushrod guideplates and chromemoly-hardened pushrods to ensure valvetrain stability.

The eventual cost will be much higher than the $440 needed to buy the Yella Terras, which you can simply bolt-on under the stock valve cover without any modifications in less than one hour.

Oh yea, didn't catch that... Ok, so here's some for a 5/16" stud. But, then again, they're $395.39. And they're non-adjustable so they should fit w/out a valve cover spacer. So I guess you're savin like $40 compared set of Yella Terra's... a lot less cool than the original $319 :( lol

non-adj or adj, that doesent have anything to do with them fitting under the valvecover, it is what lets you set preload on the pushrods. You would stil have to make the same adjustments to the valve cover to make them work, and you would still need the guideplates and hardened pushrods to run them.

All I'm goin on is based on what the manufacturer said which is that the adjustable ones will lead to clearance issues. And I don't know anyone either running or planning on running roller rockers with stock pushrods lol. But that stuff's CHEAP compared to the actual cam or roller rockers themselves. Personally, when I finally go for my cam kit, it includes high lift springs, retainers, valve locks, lifters and hardened pushrods for $369 :cool:

15, VERY likely. 40, VERY unlikely...

You forget, it's a 1.6 ratio arm. Though standard for most roller rockers, it adds quite a bit of lift and duration to whatever cam (even stock) you're runnin. Not to mention the friction it frees up.

1.7 ratio adds the duration of the cam, I was pretty sure that 1.6 is almost stock and will not add much of anything. And the nice thing about a rocker arm is there is not much friction there untill you get up into the RPM's and I have my doubts about that. You MIGHT see 5hp, I would guess closer to 3 or 4.

It will probably be quieter

PurpleCherokee said:

You forget, it's a 1.6 ratio arm. Though standard for most roller rockers, it adds quite a bit of lift and duration to whatever cam (even stock) you're runnin. Not to mention the friction it frees up.
I think you're forgetting stock is 1.6:1... or at least I always thought that stock was or was very close to 1.6:1...I'm not seeing a huge gain in that. Roller rockers basically reduce friction (not 15-40hp worth...) and noise. Just from a cam change I couldnt see more than 20hp....I doubt anywhere near the same effect just from converting to roller follower.

Roller followers are all but a waste of time on stock cams. Generally used with very high lift cams with very fast ramp speeds. Roller lifter type cams but not always. With the faster ramp speeds and the extra weight of a roller lifter often stiff value spring are needed even for sub 5 or 6 k RPM limit. Then heavy stiffer harden push rods added to the stress by not flexing as much and a stock type of follower is just over come in so many ways it's hard to list them all. In come roller followers, stronger, adjustable, often with a better gyromatics (<-spelling) but more HP from just the roller followers never.

PurpleCherokee said:

15, also VERY unlikely. Stock rockers are 1.6 ratio so a set of 1.6 ratio RR's will yield almost zero HP gain. The 1.7's might yield 3-4hp at best.

Back