• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Engine Diagnostics

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hello Fellow SoCal'ers

I'm looking for someone fairly local that has either an Snap-on MT-2500 for a Cherokee, or a Nickintime REM to test my '88 XJ. Don't want to buy, just borrow.

I've failed smog with high HC and have been through all the sensors. I've replaced my O2 (NTK), fixed some sketchy wiring, cleaned my injectors (stock) and a host of other stuff, some not related to the emissions.

Before I go back for a retest, I had hoped to hook up with someone that has the proper diagnostic device to verify it looks good, or I overlooked/missed something.

As I said earlier, it's a 1988 XJ Laredo. I've owned it since 2001. It's currently at 206K. It runs well, slight stumble at idle. Mileage has been about 10mpg city. Haven't driven it much since and don't want to wait a few weeks to retest.

I'm in the Huntington Beach, CA area. If you're within a 30 min -ish drive, I'll come to you if OK and toss you a few bucks or a 6 pack or whatever. I have until mid July to renew so no 5 alarm, but sooner the better.

Thanks,

I have a gas analyzer (no dyno for load) if you'd like to go that route. Bit of a drive though, might be cheaper just to smog it.

Last edited:
Thanks John. I was hoping to avoid another F on my smog history. I took it out for a 50 mile drive the other day and it seems that the mileage has improved. I'll just take it in and cross my fingers.

Run a can of BG44K through the fuel to clean out the injectors and carbon.

It is not snake oil. It has been used exclusively by professional mechanics for decades. It is a pain to find for most people but well worth the effort.

Redline fuel system cleaner is also very good. O'Reilly's has it.

So I passed today. I'll post up in OEM tech with details. Thanks for your help and support!!!

Late on the draw since I've been busy but I've got two MT2500s here in Torrance, I also work in Downtown Los Angeles (well when there isn't a global pandemic going on) so it's easy to get it there, too.

Back