• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

The picture posted wouldn't represent the scenario that I'm looking at improvin...

Put it this way, if I was having body roll issues, I either would have been on my lid a few times...and likely in the hospital, or wouldn't have made the obstacles I was.

Good pic. I want to go out there bad. So many trails....

How did the new setup work out?

New setup worked fantastic. I'll try to get some more pictures and videos up.

The switch flipped, and I put a little beating on the rig. Pushed myself and the rig far more than ever before, and I'm just getting going :D

Your rig is probably 800-1000lbs lighter than my rig has no roof and the weight isn't as far out to the edges. I'm not asking if you are able to tune your rig to be stable but rather how stable it is and the opinion on moving the struts out further to better hold the weight off camber plus adding a sway bar . I'm reasonably certain your boatsides aren't made from a 2x8 .188 main tube rocker with 2x2 .250 tube framed behind the .188 thick skins ...lol...all this weight plus the roof probably over powers the struts ability to perform where they sit vs your petite rig .

Seeing what yours has, I'd say mine would be double that figure lighter.

What you need to do is:

1.) Figure out corner weights, or whole rig weight at a minimum.
2.) Call ORI and discuss your issues and see about a recommended starting point
3.) Set the pressures accordingly, and go from there.

From their site:

"weight capacity up to 1,900 pounds"

So unless you're at or over 7,600 lbs...you should be able to get them to work.

The whole reason I went with ORI's was not needing to package sway bars or bumps.

Seeing what yours has, I'd say mine would be double that figure lighter.

What you need to do is:

1.) Figure out corner weights, or whole rig weight at a minimum.
2.) Call ORI and discuss your issues and see about a recommended starting point
3.) Set the pressures accordingly, and go from there.

From their site:

"weight capacity up to 1,900 pounds"

So unless you're at or over 7,600 lbs...you should be able to get them to work.

The whole reason I went with ORI's was not needing to package sway bars or bumps.

I had a rough estimate of 850 lbs sprung for the corners based on total axle pad weight front and rear. ORI does suggest a sway bar if you can't get the stability you want . I do believe some of the issue is me having made big jumps In pressures ...lol... at one point I was having the struts flex at a corner and stay compressed this was just from being too aggressive with the lowers ...a 10 psi increase really makes a difference without putting more on top and that's how I need to start tuning them after setting ride height . They are probably doing better than It sounds I'm just trying to compare them on side hill to a coil stuffed with a prothane front and rear which that set up is going to be much stiffer since they only allowed 2 inches of up travel b4 going rigid at that point the bidy can't move . I will be putting my trailer back together this Tuesday and Wednesday on my days off as well as getting around to setting my tires straight on my steering and fixing the front axle track that is off center by two inches . Then I think I'm going to be taking a week.of vacation to go out and use the toy on real trails and bring my 20lb tank . I don't have any issue putting a Sway bar on to perfect the handling if needed , but I'm certainly going to play with them for a few runs to see where I get . Carnage and cleavland rock are more than doable as it sits now , so I'll probably trailer out to HC to claim the rock and then carnage ...lol... I would go to Moab but I doubt my buddy is up for that spur of the moment run .I just need it dialed in and painted up b4 EJS

If the struts are new/rebuilt...set them once and go wheeling several times before adjusting them again. The seals and such need to settle in, otherwise you'll just be chasing your tail on them.

On my 16's I ran ~4-5" front, 6-7" rear for my Sand Hollow Trip...they did awesome.

If the struts are new/rebuilt...set them once and go wheeling several times before adjusting them again. The seals and such need to settle in, otherwise you'll just be chasing your tail on them.

On my 16's I ran ~4-5" front, 6-7" rear for my Sand Hollow Trip...they did awesome.

Yeah rear are used and broke in the fronts are brand new with no real work on them . I'll just bring the tank and my bag of 1500 psi Schrader valves in case I break one ...l... bought 30 valves from ORI after catching one with a brake line because you're not buying 1500 psi valves at oriellys or ace .

well....i finally made it thru emissions. and got my plates.had it for 5 years and been legal about 50% of the time lmao.

fyi on my renix engine harness. the grounds for the injectors and the engine sensors were the initial cause. and the damn TPS. finally got the TPS to clear and allow to be reset. Nick's REM helped a LOT.

btw the injectors have six to join to one, and the sensors all join one and there is supposed to be a wire to join these two bundles and then on to ground. my POS has a leaking head gasket, uses coolant but not in oil or on ground. still passed after the 7th trip and all 7 had the free retest. what a mess but finally got it passed. and scored me a new bubba rope as reward. plus my current ARB strap is way over due for replacement.
happy with my jeep now

Figure I'd save some driving and pick up a stick of angle Iron at Dencol instead of k &k since I would be almost right next door . I called in advance to check the price on 2x2 .188 and the cost to cut the 20ft section into 2 8ft lengths after that I said I'd be down later to pick it up. At this time no mention of 1 cut per visit per customer, which this was not the rule in 2016 when I bought a stick of 2 inch square tube. So I go into buy this driving my commander not my pickup and guy says only 1 cut I said that won't fit he says sorry nothing he can do 1 cut per customer , so I mention that I called ahead on this material and no mention of this new cut limit and that I do live 68 miles from them . His suggestion was get the 1 cut come back in an hour or two and see if they'll cut the second cut . I point out that I can see a limit on excessive cuts and when busy , but they have no walk in customers on the yard ... it's empty... and again that it was not mentioned on the phone , so if they could accommodate the ... ONE...extra cut, NOPE . So as I turn around and think about this and how 1 extra cut on the table is 30 seconds for a piece already up there and that technically it's their fault for not outlining this limit ...lol...I kindly tell the guy to Go... F-himself... This was after being polite and turned away . Keep in mind this clerk doesn't know I was getting c-25 gas in Denver just that I came 68 miles from Bailey in snow to buy somethimg they neglected to outline their new 1 cut walk in policy , so to me it was pretty shitty customer service as he only knee I drove 68 miles one way to buy this and it's their sales staff who dropped the ball on advising on cut limit .

Last time I buy any steel from Dencol .

Oh ...lol... and on my way home on 285 there was a pile if chain left from a driver who lost some tire chains I avoided the pile of busted chain buy picked up a cam lock in my driver rear tire...lol... oh well at least when I got home I tested all my struts and it appears new shraders on the old struts lower chamber were the fix, so that's good news ...Then got online to waste more money on the Jeep with an order for a set if 5200lb brake axles to replace the over loaded 3500 idler axles that are tweaked. This hobby just eats the cash ...lol

Last edited:

48855133256_c5e1f42258_k.jpg

that is freaking gorgeous.

Figure I'd save some driving and pick up a stick of angle Iron at Dencol instead of k &k since I would be almost right next door . I called in advance to check the price on 2x2 .188 and the cost to cut the 20ft section into 2 8ft lengths after that I said I'd be down later to pick it up. At this time no mention of 1 cut per visit per customer, which this was not the rule in 2016 when I bought a stick of 2 inch square tube. So I go into buy this driving my commander not my pickup and guy says only 1 cut I said that won't fit he says sorry nothing he can do 1 cut per customer , so I mention that I called ahead on this material and no mention of this new cut limit and that I do live 68 miles from them . His suggestion was get the 1 cut come back in an hour or two and see if they'll cut the second cut . I point out that I can see a limit on excessive cuts and when busy , but they have no walk in customers on the yard ... it's empty... and again that it was not mentioned on the phone , so if they could accommodate the ... ONE...extra cut, NOPE . So as I turn around and think about this and how 1 extra cut on the table is 30 seconds for a piece already up there and that technically it's their fault for not outlining this limit ...lol...I kindly tell the guy to Go... F-himself... This was after being polite and turned away . Keep in mind this clerk doesn't know I was getting c-25 gas in Denver just that I came 68 miles from Bailey in snow to buy somethimg they neglected to outline their new 1 cut walk in policy , so to me it was pretty shitty customer service as he only knee I drove 68 miles one way to buy this and it's their sales staff who dropped the ball on advising on cut limit .

Last time I buy any steel from Dencol .
You getting soft in your old age. I would have contacted the person who gave me the initial quote. If they couldn't resolve the issue, I'd ask for their boss. After I burned up as much of their time possible, I'd ask if they want my money or not. :flamemad:

You getting soft in your old age. I would have contacted the person who gave me the initial quote. If they couldn't resolve the issue, I'd ask for their boss. After I burned up as much of their time possible, I'd ask if they want my money or not. :flamemad:

Typically places will charge per cut, I think it's $3 per at my local place.

Easy way for them to make money.

Really surprised they just said "no", and didn't offer to make an additional cut for a few bucks.

I've brought my cordless angle grinder with me when needing to make several cuts...did it last time at Home Depot since a 10' section of rebar was WAY cheaper than the smaller sections...and I needed a lot.

Typically places will charge per cut, I think it's $3 per at my local place.

Easy way for them to make money.

Really surprised they just said "no", and didn't offer to make an additional cut for a few bucks.

I've brought my cordless angle grinder with me when needing to make several cuts...did it last time at Home Depot since a 10' section of rebar was WAY cheaper than the smaller sections...and I needed a lot.

They do more than 1 cut at $2.00 per cut...BUT NOT...on walk in customers you have to "pre order" to get more than 1 cut . This was not the policy until this year and was not mentioned by their sales staff when checking on price and inventory only when I arrived to pick up the steel . I kept my cool until after outlining that they didn't mention the 1 cut limit and that two 10s don't work ...lol... The guys nest option was to get 1 cut and come back in an hour or Two and "see" if they'll cut the second .At that point I said so you won't accommodate me and was told , Nope ... lol... after that they got my less than polite side since I exhausted my attempt at appealing to common sense to get what I needed . In the end I drove up to k&k the roads were only wet and it actually cost $5 less . I would have brought my grinder nut since it was a steel yard not a big box store I didn't think of it , but I will not use them for materials again .

Sweet ...Fedex has dropped off the new axles...lol... I'm stoked to have axles with brakes I no longer fear heavy traffic.

Lost my work Semi to a drunk driver heading North in the South bound I -25 right about the 205 university.I tried to steer to the median but couldn't avoid her luckily she had no passengers so while I couldn't completely miss her the impact was mostly passenger side . She broke my steer axle leaf hangers sending yhe steers under the cab so I ended up sailing straight into the center divider with no steering ...lol... luckily I don't wrap my thumbs around the steering wheel. The Pete's frame was cracked at all cross members and the main rails twisted...dpf sitting mid highway . The Kia forte looked like a beer can the motor sitting middle of i25 the driver had not one visible scratch ...I myself have a few very stiff body parts, but I don't think I need to call The Strong Arm ...hopedully this chick learns a lesson from nearly dying had I not steered left she'd not be so lucky . Now I'm taking one of my vacation weeks off going to get my trailer ready and wheel something...lol...I was goimg to use that extra week to cash out for a mishimoto trans cooler and deep sump .

This is what's left of the drunk drivers Kia Forte who hit me going the wrong way on the interstate. Despite how this looks she had not a mark on her at the scene .imagejpeg950.jpg

imagejpeg951.jpg

Back