• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loss to NAXJA (Don "Woody" Woodward)

Loss to NAXJA

Met Woody like many in 2001 in Telico, he will be missed.

01ff8acb4bbfc67034f9cdfbdd291746.jpg

Helicopter Pad, 2001

Re: Loss to NAXJA

Woody and I traded parts in the early Naxja years, as we were building up our rigs. Woody would send me parts, before I could even drop him a check in the mail (pre PayPal days). He was that trusting of an individual, and really impressed me. Got to meet him at Moab too.

Woody, you will be greatly missed. You brought a wealth of knowledge and friendship to Naxja....

What sad news. One of the many great people I met in the early days of NAXJA.

RIP Woody

Never got to meet him but the stories had me itching to. He was a friend on Facebook and his posts were entertaining. RIP Woody, maybe I'll wheel with you on the trail in the sky!

Met Woody like many in 2001 in Telico, he will be missed.

01ff8acb4bbfc67034f9cdfbdd291746.jpg

Helicopter Pad, 2001

Dan, you remember, maybe, that I fried my clutch the first day on the trails and rode with you the rest of the first day. I rode with Woody the entire second day. That picture was taken the day I rode with him. I remember we all chased stuff from his bed all over the trail after he finally throttled down! That was my first, and unfortunately my last, chance to hang out with Woody.

Except fot the help he gave us in the early days of forming the RRC chapter, and help with a few rare problem issues I had with Naxja, I never really got to know him, he was a stand up guy and a great resource to NAXJA. I nearly beat him to the big highway trip my self last year, I came close to lights out myslef, so this makes me value each and every day I have left, even more.

He will be missed by us all.

And yes, it was obvious to me that he did a lot to keep NAXJA together and to keep it on solid sound ground. He was one of the most level headed people I meet on Naxja!!!!

He wil be missed I am sure.

So many good memories of Woody. His was one of those great friendships developed through this club. Don was one of those on a relatively short list who worked very hard behind the scenes for this club, as well as serving as president and other functions. What a shame.

:cheers: to you, old friend.

Richard

Over the horizon

Is not so far aboard where I stand
Yet
Over the horizon is where you be

For me
I can chart it
I may not yet reach it
Today

You know this place
Of peace
Of the Wind and Sun behind you
Today

Tommorrow I go for now
Until we be over the horizon
Today

Loss to NAXJA

Dan, you remember, maybe, that I fried my clutch the first day on the trails and rode with you the rest of the first day. I rode with Woody the entire second day. That picture was taken the day I rode with him. I remember we all chased stuff from his bed all over the trail after he finally throttled down! That was my first, and unfortunately my last, chance to hang out with Woody.

I do remember. I wheeled again with him when the Crawl was at Crawford's.

I'm still awe struck by his passing.

A true NAXJA original he was.

He was a calming presence and a reassuring leader during tumultuous BOD times. A great resource when I was Colorado Chapter prez.

Take care Don.

Indeed he was!!!!!

"He was a calming presence and a reassuring leader during tumultuous BOD times."

Lets hope that rubbed off on many of us.

Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. Interacted with him on the web many times and thought of him as a friend. RIP Woody.

Great guy. First met him at Tellico in '02 I believe, and we wheeled together a few times after that. He was always entertaining to watch on the trail and the Rich Mountain ride back in '02 (or was it '03?) wouldn't have been nearly as memorable without him.

Rest in peace :patriot:

Last edited:

RIP Wooody….just talked motorcycles with you the other day, was looking forward to riding sometime. As I race today you'll be on my mind.

Met him at NACfest '04, kept in touch sporadically, traded a few parts. Was great to see him again in Moab in '08. Like many NAXJAns that I consider friends, but don't see nearly enough, it was easy to resume our friendship as if we'd just seen each other last week.

And that southern accent couldn't hide an intelligence and wit matched by few on NAXJA, or anywhere for that matter...

I've been looking for info on Don's services and came across this tonight.

http://www.pinesfunerals.com/obits/obituary.php?id=653377

Memorials may be made to Kennedy Funeral Home to assist with expenses.

I will be calling tomorrow to get more info and make a donation.

I plan to attend the service Tuesday. I will post tomorrow what I find out.

His memorial service is Tuesday at 7:00 at Lighthouse Assembly of God 8361 NC-24, Carthage, NC 28327. I talked to Beth this morning at Kennedy Funeral Home. They only have the ability to take checks by mail and credit cards. If anyone wants to help in his families expenses you can send a check to:
Kennedy Funeral Home
P.O. Box 307
Carthage, NC 28327

You can call in a donation at:

(910) 948-2221

Back