• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Build

JWFab 1

NAXJA Forum User
The goal was to gain clearance and to be functional.

I had to cut the tube cause my bender wouldn't do an S bend that tight.

IMAG0760.jpg

Then, to get rid of this.

IMAG0735-1.jpg

IMAG1057.jpg

After adding the bottom tube. I figured, it was in the way too much so it had to go.

IMAG0879.jpg

3/16 plate was welded to the inside of the frame rail next to the gas tank so the 2" square was sandwiched in between.

IMAG1106.jpg

Next I moved this up section and boxed it with 3/16
IMAG1084-1.jpg

IMAG1081.jpg

IMAG1152.jpg

IMAG1155.jpg

I also opened up the rear wheel well 5" to the rear.

IMAG1154.jpg

Last edited:
IMAG1156.jpg

IMAG1146.jpg

Later I added a plate here for support like pictured above.

IMAG1150.jpg

IMAG1166.jpg

Next will be to cut more off the fenders, add tubing to the sliders then weld tube in around the fenders to make a small fender flare and attach to the bumper.

Im also in the process of making a removable receiver style winch. Shackle mounts will be added later to the bumper when the winch plate is completed and I know where I want them. The winch will be mounted in the receiver and pins through the shackle mounts.

Last edited:
think it looks stellar. never see a good zj bumper - ever. gonna add any more reinforcement to the sides? or do you think the new boxes you made on the corners will take a good enough beating?

:thumbup:

think it looks stellar. never see a good zj bumper - ever. gonna add any more reinforcement to the sides? or do you think the new boxes you made on the corners will take a good enough beating?

:thumbup:

Thanks!
Im sure the boxes will take a beating but hold up as much as needed. Ill also be adding a short tube from the corner (under the light) and mounting it to the new box.
Ill also be adding plate to the rear quarters soon tying it all together.

sounds like you have it all planne dout well. bet you could really turn those things over on nagca like no ones business.....just sayin

Very nice. How do you get to the pin for the reciever? Are you gonna close the back of the tank skid up? Would make it look even smoother. Usually I dont like bumpers and such painted to match the rig but this looks real sweet. Good job.

Very nice. How do you get to the pin for the reciever? Are you gonna close the back of the tank skid up? Would make it look even smoother. Usually I dont like bumpers and such painted to match the rig but this looks real sweet. Good job.

I lift the hatch to put the pin in. You can see the hole in the fifth picture.
The plan was to make a new tank skid that attached to the bottom of the bumper but after it was built I decided that I want to stretch it and put a fuel cell in to give it more clearance. The cell will still be underneath but pushed up in the floor a few inches

I started plating the rear quarters today that the bumper mounts to. Pics tomorrow.

Back