• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

csf 3 core + taurus fan swap?

XGarfX

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running the csf 3 core rad and was wondering if anyone here is running that with a taurus e-fan? I believe the three core is thicker then my original radiator but dont recall how much thicker, I installed it a while ago. Does anyone have measurements of a taurus fan? If your running that setup did you have to do anything besides trimming the taurus shroud? I'm just reading up stuff about the efan swap deciding what i want to do for a controller, how i want it to run stuff like that. I'm probly gona leave my xj e-fan in there and the taurus fan replace the mechanical fan in the xj. Probly get some type of temp controller and also have a manual over ride. Only reason im considering the swap is because my fan clutch is showing signs of failure as it has about 120k on it. I wheel in the rocks a lot esp in the summer and i already run my stock xj efan with a manual over ride switch for wheeling to help keep it cool, id rather hear that fan hum all the time on the trail rather then hear it kick on and off lol wow this post got long ok so ya anyone got some tips for fitting a 3 core and taurus fan hook it up! thanks guys

*one thing i want to make clear is i DONT have any over heating problems, zero, none at all my cooling system runs at A top, just considering the swap for a cool (no pun intended) swap to give me something to do and also because its better for wheeling, idling, my fan clutch is starting to go ect.*

Last edited:
From what I have been told from when I did my V-8 S-10, the Taurus e-fans needs a ton of amps to run.

Might want to look at aftermarket set-ups for fans...

From what I'm reading running another xj fan wont pull enough cfm. Guys running a taurus fan, have you had any electrical issues due to high amp pulls from the taurus fan? I plan on using a controller either DC or flexa lite 31165 controller, everything will have appropriate fuses and relays ect. If you've done it do you like the swap so far?

Dirtbound offroad.. has a triple fan kit.

I run a cfs rad and taurus fan. I moved the radiator forwadrd 3/4" to make room and cut off the mech fan pulley. I didn't trim much off the shroud, only where needed to fit over stuff like the front crossmember. I went with a dcc controller

HTH

I run a cfs rad and taurus fan. I moved the radiator forwadrd 3/4" to make room and cut off the mech fan pulley. I didn't trim much off the shroud, only where needed to fit over stuff like the front crossmember. I went with a dcc controller

HTH

how do you like the conversion so far? dcc controllers is one im looking at also, how did you go about moving the rad foward? is it as simple as drilling holes for the lower posts to go and new bolt holes up top?

From what I'm reading running another xj fan wont pull enough cfm. Guys running a taurus fan, have you had any electrical issues due to high amp pulls from the taurus fan? I plan on using a controller either DC or flexa lite 31165 controller, everything will have appropriate fuses and relays ect. If you've done it do you like the swap so far?

We run 2 97-later fans on the desert racer with a 2 row radiator. We have ZERO cooling issues. Whoever is telling you that 2 stock fans won't be sufficient is full of crap. A couple other teams have tried the 3-fan setups or the Taurus fan only to go back to using 2 stock fans.

For a controller, look up DC Controls.

how do you like the conversion so far? dcc controllers is one im looking at also, how did you go about moving the rad foward? is it as simple as drilling holes for the lower posts to go and new bolt holes up top?

Dcc controller is ok. I need to see about being able to kill it for a water crossing on my favorite wheeling area though. Yep, relocating the rad was that easy. 4 new holes and it was done

does the 97+ xj e fan have 2 speeds? i recall reading that somewhere but i kno on my 99 it just seems like it comes on when needed, no variation in speed. One thing i have noticed is that if i use my override switch it doesnt spin as fast as if the ecu turned the fan on.... might be a wiring issue (to small gauge possibly, everything is wired in correctly for the override).

Now say if i was to use a 2 speed controller like dcc one, what would i do with that high speed wire? just cap it off and put it to the side? DieselSJ what is your setup like, do you run both e fans at the same time? Main one seperately from the aux e fan, both on temp controllers ect.. I've been searching high and low for the numbers on a stock xj e-fan (97+), and what cfm is needed for a main fan on an xj. No good reliable readings though.

If you do end up running a taurus aux fan, because it does requires more amps, it would be wise to look at upgrading the alternator.
The stock alternator puts out 90amps. Personally I have a 136amp alternator (for a '98 Grand Cherokee/Dakota/Durango/Ram) installed in its place. A wonderful write-up is posted here: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/

As part of the installation, I did have to unbolt the alternator bracket from the engine block and grind away a few millimetres in key areas, as the new alternator is physically larger in size and requires this step to make it fit and bolt in securely. (DO NOT attempt to run the alternator only bolted in with only one of the two mounting bolts... this will put stress on the weak aluminium bracket and cause it to snap... ask me how I know!)

Keep in mind I have yet to upgrade my own radiator fan setup, just did the alternator upgrade in case I do decide for a taurus fan (and also because I'm adding other electrical goodies)

Using the dc controller I dont think you will have problems with the amp draw of the taurus fans, the controller kicks in at 50% softly to prevent spikes, then it will out got to full power is its really getting hot. But most of the time in the summer it will be running at half power drawing about 10 amps, this is using the high speed wire, during the winter you could maybe change over to lowspeed for even less draw.

Whoever is telling you that 2 stock fans won't be sufficient is full of crap.

Well I guess i'm full of crap. I ran two 97+ fans on my setup with an all new cooling system and rebuilt stock engine. Factory fan left alone and the second fan on an electronic controller. Engine would start to overheat at the slightest incline on the road. Swapped stock clutch fan and shroud back on, no heating issues.

I think two stock fans is not enough, maybe in a desert racer that is going 50 miles per hour most of the time but in stop and go city traffic during the summer I dont think it will work.

I think two stock fans is not enough, maybe in a desert racer that is going 50 miles per hour most of the time but in stop and go city traffic during the summer I dont think it will work.

Do those desert racers have an AW4 or a manual transmission? What radiator are they running,...dual core, 3 core, copper/brass or all aluminium?

With an AW4 that get hot, the all electric small CFM fans may not be enough. Plus, I do not think the electric fan is as efficient as the mechanical fan at highway speed.

I think just the air moving thru the radiator at speed can do a good bit of cooling, I know as soon as I move 30 mph the temp drops and the engine isn't turning too fast to really get that mech fan going, 1200 rpm maybe.

The best fan for the Cherokee is the stock fan. An electric fan will not pull more air. I only replaced mine because the damn thing was very loud. If you are set on going electric, don't cheap out. I used cheap fans in the past and had a warped head to show for it when they failed at the worst time. The Taurus fan I used after that cooled really well but took alot of fab work to fit. The FFD setup I have now works really well but still does not pull quite as much air as a stock fan.

Do those desert racers have an AW4 or a manual transmission? What radiator are they running,...dual core, 3 core, copper/brass or all aluminium?

With an AW4 that get hot, the all electric small CFM fans may not be enough. Plus, I do not think the electric fan is as efficient as the mechanical fan at highway speed.

Automatic. Brass/copper 2 row radiator. We don't get much 50mph stuff. How about foot to the floor, 2nd gear, pulling a deep sandy wash for 8 or 9 miles. Ya, that builds some heat. Again, 2 97-later stock fans. Temps never go over 205.

I'll say it again - two stock 97-later fans are more than adequate to keep an XJ cool.

Automatic. Brass/copper 2 row radiator. We don't get much 50mph stuff. How about foot to the floor, 2nd gear, pulling a deep sandy wash for 8 or 9 miles. Ya, that builds some heat. Again, 2 97-later stock fans. Temps never go over 205.

I'll say it again - two stock 97-later fans are more than adequate to keep an XJ cool.

After reading the radiator debate for several years I am convinced that a good quality 2 row copper/brass unit may be the all around better selection. What brand radiator do you guys use?

Back