• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V-8 Engine swap

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
Does any one here know if I need a new tranny with a 350 (5.7 liter) or if I can use the stock tranny or if I need to beef it up?

Which tranny do you have?

If you have either of the manuals, you'll want a new tranny. If you have the auto, it would work with the 350, but by the time you got through with addaptors, flexplates and torque convertors, you'd be dollars ahead with a 700-R4 or TH 350 that usually comes stock behind the GM V-8.

700-R$'s and TH-350's are very easy to bolt to an NP 231, Usually with only an input gear change.

CRASH

Well I have an auto but I also have a 350 torque converter sitting around. Assuming I already have a running engine with exhaust and in take, what will the switch cost me?

Now you are over my head. Whatever your estimate is, add 50% for the little stuff that always creeps up.

CRASH

CRASH said:
700-R4's and TH-350's are very easy to bolt to an NP 231, Usually with only an input gear change. CRASH
The output shaft of a 2wd 700-R4 is different from that of a 4wd. Make sure and get the right one.

Back