• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 brake hose question?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I installed my Dana 44 rear today.:)
My question concerns the brake hose that attaches to the axle. On my 8.25 AND on the Dana 35 before than, the brake hose mounted with a hollow bolt that also served as the vent for the axle tube. The Dana 44 has 2 holes. One is the vent and the other is used to mount the brake hose fitting. This mounting bolt is MUCH smaller that the 8.25 one was. I mounted it using this bolt, but had to really snug it down to keep it from moving around.

Also, I can't seem to get rid of a small drip coming from the fitting, probably from one of the flare nuts on the hard lines going in. There WAS some residue from teflon tape on those threads. Should I have used tape again? I always thought that a flare would seal well without TOO much tightening. It was REALLY tight when I took it off the other one.
My current hose is a stainless one from RE that came with my lift kit.

The D44 is awesome though. Very tight and QUIET!:cool:

I too am going from an 8.25 to a D44. The vent hole is the hole closer to the pumpkin. On mine, I threaded this hole with a 1/8" pipe tap and screwed a 1/8" brass hose barb in it. The other is for the break line 'T' . You will need to replace the 8.25 break line with the type the CJ and of course the D44 uses. This type do not have the vent hole in it. You could find more info at madxj.com.

While on the subject of break line, Does anyone know who make a breakline that has the inverted flear at the brass 'T' end instead of the usual regular flear? I am trying to fit disks from a ford car that has flexible lines with the inverted flear.
TIA. :)

techno1154 said:

While on the subject of break line, Does anyone know who make a breakline that has the inverted flear at the brass 'T' end instead of the usual regular flear? I am trying to fit disks from a ford car that has flexible lines with the inverted flear.
TIA. :)

The crackheads at FoMoCo hired the glue sniffers from D.C. who now mix & match parts like AMC never dreamed of doing.

Went thru this today with a brake master cylinder from a late 90's Exploder I wanted to swap into my XJ - They changed a lot of the stuff to fittings with a 'male' flare on the lines & the 'female' flare on the part (master cylinder, etc) which is exactly the opposite of what the XJ's have.
I know of no f'n advantage for these fittings other than limiting parts buyer's options.

I sorted thru the brake fittings bins at AutismZone for a while & finally just asked who could make the custom lines for me locally.

?????????????
The "standard flare" is a "3/8"-24 Inverted flare".No do not use teflon tape on brake fittings.This subject just came up last week,look for nicks on the sealing surfaces and/or tighten!Make sure you use a good set of flare nut wrenches.

Back