• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for tent advice

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
So the days of my Ozark trail 4 person Chinese tent aka 2 person sardine sack are over. Had a baby a few months ago and need to upgrade to something that is bigger. I've been digging around and looking at some options but was wondering what you guys use or would recommend. This will be 100% a car camping tent so weight and size aren't a major issue.

Right now the leader in my choice is a blackpine sports 210.
http://www.blackpinesports.com/turbo-lite

A few things I need.
-Not a big footprint, 8x8 or something close would be ideal.
-Has to be able to fit my queen air mattress and a rock and play. 3 humans total. We have 2 dogs but they are tiny and end up in the sleeping bags with us.
-Need a Vestibule, doesn't have to be huge
-Has to be able to hold up to Colorado elements. Don't need a 4 season but needs to hold up to rain and wind well.
-Would like to stay under $300
-I would like standing room but not 100% necessary.

I've also considered

http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...as-westwind-p-dome-tent/2437124.uts?slotId=14

https://www.rei.com/product/894015/rei-co-op-kingdom-4-tent

Any advice is appreciated!

Awesome, thanks for the input. That Jade tent looks like it might be worth looking at.

I have somewhat of the Jade's predecessor. Mine is 12x12, with a minimum height of 7'3", and over 8' at the peak. The walls are nicely vertical, so you get full use of the floor space. Judging at the price point of the Jade, it's probably not quite as stout as my Space II, but that was $450 20 years ago. It will still be light years ahead of the WalMart crap. And the outlet stuff is a tremendous deal.

If you camp in must rain, you might consider the Tetragon 8. It's a 10x12, but a bit shorter, yet still standing room. The rainfly covers the windows better. It's also better suited for higher winds. I have one of the earlier Tetragons that came in a 10x14 size, and it's been through some rough stuff in Death Valley, with minimal issues.

Also, I live 30 miles from Eureka's headquarters, and they sometimes have stuff in the Outlet that isn't on the website. I'd be happy to go look for you, if you're interested.

David Bricker / SYR

I have somewhat of the Jade's predecessor. Mine is 12x12, with a minimum height of 7'3", and over 8' at the peak. The walls are nicely vertical, so you get full use of the floor space. Judging at the price point of the Jade, it's probably not quite as stout as my Space II, but that was $450 20 years ago. It will still be light years ahead of the WalMart crap. And the outlet stuff is a tremendous deal.

If you camp in must rain, you might consider the Tetragon 8. It's a 10x12, but a bit shorter, yet still standing room. The rainfly covers the windows better. It's also better suited for higher winds. I have one of the earlier Tetragons that came in a 10x14 size, and it's been through some rough stuff in Death Valley, with minimal issues.

Also, I live 30 miles from Eureka's headquarters, and they sometimes have stuff in the Outlet that isn't on the website. I'd be happy to go look for you, if you're interested.

David Bricker / SYR

My worry with something bigger than 8x8 will be setting it up. Most times we just trail camp and most places we've gone haven't been friendly to the bigger tents. Sometimes it was a battle setting up the current 4 person tent.

Standing room would be a plus, but really one of the lower priorities. Quality, quick set up and room are really what I need.

No need to venture out there, I appreciate the offer though. I'll keep scanning and see what else pops up. Thanks again!

That big Agnes tent looks awesome. I only need room for 1 or 2 at the moment but looks great especially for longer camping trips where you might be set up all weekend or more. I'll have to look for a deal to pop up on one of those but glad I stumbled across this thread.

That big Agnes tent looks awesome. I only need room for 1 or 2 at the moment but looks great especially for longer camping trips where you might be set up all weekend or more. I'll have to look for a deal to pop up on one of those but glad I stumbled across this thread.

I was debating between this one and the Marmot Halo 6. Price ended up steering my choice. eBay is where I found this one. I'll see how it holds up this season. So far just set up it up the basement to see the size. It is nice and big with plenty of room, and that was without the vestibule. I'm 6'1" and can easily stand in the middle. Set up our queen air mattress with the pack and play for the mini-me and didn't feel crammed at all. I managed to set it up myself so fairly easy considering the size (and the space I had to work with).

Back