• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case help needed:( Please help ASAP :) Thanks

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, new here, from Ontario, Canada, would like to say HI to everyone,
I own a 98 XJ 4L auto, not my choice on the tranny, but got it at a killer deal and had to get it:) anyway Hi once more... here is my actual question...

I have lifted my XJ using Teraflex's SX4L kit... and thats 4", im experiencing vibrations, and i have driven my XJ like that for about 300km, im figuring my ujoints are shot already. Anyway, going to drop my t-case. But... on the way undooing the second bolt on the driver side, i have noticed that it is not a bolt, but a nut, what i did to remove that threaded pin was i welded a nut on it, and started unscrewing that. By doing that i got it almost out, but at the end it just started turning, and the threaded part that sits inside the frame got loose... (my t-case crossmemeber still sitting on the jack-axle stands).
What do i do now?

What are the other options, as for vibrations? What else could it do?

What is the BEST possible way to go? i have heard that dropping the T Case is not a way to go because the level of ATF changes in Automatic Tranny, and then it dies sooner then later...:)

Try a rear SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator on the xfer case), and a C/V constant velocity driveshaft. You didn't mention what kind of terrain your XJ encounters. I would recommend replacing the light duty NP231 anyway.

First to fix the nut. You can either go in from the top, inside the rig or if it is close to one of the larger holes in the frame you might be able to start a new one with a nut behind it. Sometimes you can tack weld a nut back into place from the outside by grinding a small groove in the sheet metal and hitting the nut on the side welding it back to the sheet metal where you made the groove.

4" on a 98 you'll need a sye for sure. Go with a AA or other HD kit, forget about the H&Ts, not worth the time.

If you drop the tcase check and fill the tranny level after you do it. At the right level it should be fine.

hinkley

Thanks a lot guys, unfortunately i have to have the vehicle on the road in about 2-3 days for the new years. We got a cabin, and there is 10 people comng. Anyway, that is what i wanted to do (SYE) and CV driveshaft.
Question would that help if i did only the driveshaft? or not?
As for what i do with my XJ, nothing, daily driver, i had a YJ before and went through 3 engines and d3 trannies offroading:) some contributed to amazing pics. :)
Anyway, thanks a million.
D.

Back