• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New stock height suspension

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
After being without a Jeep for the last 5 or 6 years I bought a 2001 XJ Sport that has a good interior and body. Up here in WI everything is so rusted out. The bad is that the rear springs are completely shot; inverted by an inch or more just sitting int he driveway. It has a 2" front spring spacer and an unknown extended rear shackle. It also appears to have shocks that are too long and about dead.

I want to replace all the suspension with 0-1" lift good quality springs. I had an OME kit with all JKS components on my last XJ. I want to keep this one closer to stock while still improving its ride and handling holes/ruts on forest service roads.

What does everyone recommend these days? Spring options?
Shocks... Gabriel Ultra/Max Control, Bilstein 4600, KYB...?

Thanks for the help while I get this rig up to par.

If the coils are not sagged, keep running them with suitable spacers. I might have a set of low mileage stock UpCountry +1 coils in the shed. I have had good results with Rustys 4x4 lift coils, but you would have to buy the +2 inch coils. Moog cc782 sare a decent +1 inch UpCountry like replacement coil. Crown Automotive Heavy Duty leaf springs are +1 inch taller and are similar to the stock UpCountry leaf springs. DeotschTech DT-3000 are very reasonable, Bilstein 4600 give a smooth, controlled, and a bit firmer than stock ride.

Last edited:
I might have a set of low mileage stock UpCountry +1 coils in the shed.

What would you want for the UpCountry springs? That is the package my last XJ had, well until I changed everything. Wouldn't mind having that old factory skid either.

What about rear leafs? Those are priority.

There was a thread on this recently. I had rough results with the Crown springs, they were spottily painted and sagged into an S shape within a few years despite little load. I'm looking at General Spring this time around, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I just did my '00 couple week with Moog CC782 coils, shocks, Husky/General 755# leafs w/ OME D22XL, NOS MJ shackles, and Ironman4x4fab UCA and LCA (did axle side bushings too) with very positive results. I will post pictures up of before and after if I can figure it out.

Rides like Brand-used now after 21 years.
29ead4215c953ad2b2edc423813db213.jpg
604ce1f8e88738c2d5c727c06fcb2a8f.jpg
a7ce6762b6c6bec4c7fc612afe8e7bdb.jpg
da68b75f2f6dea18cc86a716c12c1fd6.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hard to tell but the leaves in that picture look pretty flat. Are they? The rear lift height looks perfect. Beautiful XJ too btw.

The leaf packs were flat almost immediately after installation without the OME add-a-leaf. I've since put in a request to Husky/Dayton Spring for a warranty and or refund. The full length AAL really smoothed out the ride quality and firmed it quite nicely also. Thanks for the compliment, it lived in CO most its life before the drive to live in the rust belt.

Forgot to say that there is some added arch with the AAL, for how long will be the question, but I have faith it'll last a while.

There was a thread on this recently. I had rough results with the Crown springs, they were spottily painted and sagged into an S shape within a few years despite little load. I'm looking at General Spring this time around, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Do you know what part number Crown you bought/got?

Crown sells (believe it or not) 6 different XJ leafs. There are only 2 that I use/sell/recommend.

4886185AA - stock height replacements
4886186AA - new stock height + 1 3/4" (equivalent to UpCountry springs)

All the rest (even if labeled heavy duty) are not what I'd suggest...those are mostly light duty for 2wd or no optioned setups.

I've had those on 3 of my XJ's, for years, and they held up great. I've sold a few hundred sets of them over the years locally and those are my findings.

Do you know what part number Crown you bought/got?

Crown sells (believe it or not) 6 different XJ leafs. There are only 2 that I use/sell/recommend.

4886185AA - stock height replacements
4886186AA - new stock height + 1 3/4" (equivalent to UpCountry springs)

All the rest (even if labeled heavy duty) are not what I'd suggest...those are mostly light duty for 2wd or no optioned setups.

I've had those on 3 of my XJ's, for years, and they held up great. I've sold a few hundred sets of them over the years locally and those are my findings.

Just pulled up the order history, it was the Crown 4886185AB, so the stock heights.

Shawn, why did you go with the Ironman control arms for stock suspension? I had adjustable arms on my 98’ with an OME 3” lift and JKS components but don’t see the need at factory height.

When the 98’ was still on the factory springs I swapped in WJ arms for tire clearance, plus they are boxed instead of the stamped sheet metal.

I ended up going with Moog coils and Dorman leafs, both heavy duty (supposedly UpCountry heights). I also bought new rear shackles to get rid of the cheap lift shackles, u-bolts, coil isolators and Gabriel Max-Control shocks for all 4 corners. I know Bilstein are nice but I am trying to keep this XJ on a budget, it is going to be a daily 99.5% of the time. Where as my 98’ was strictly a weekend trailer rig.

It is tempting to replace the tie rods and trac-bar while I have it pulled apart but I feel like I am biting off more than I can chew in one project. Already have the rear main, oil pump and rear U-joints planned at the same time.

I got the springs yesterday and was surprised by what I got. They are the same part number but were made in two different countries, Mexico and Columbia. You can see that the Columbia product seems to be of better quality. The Mexico springs taper to a thinner edge and are cut square instead of having the corners trimmed to reduce friction.

I am afraid that one will have a different loaded height or shorter life than the other. So I ordered a third spring in hopes of getting one that gives me a matched pair. I am really hoping for the Columbia made version. Guess I will see.

AABA00FF-B857-43E2-B370-C382942BC6D8.jpeg.html

0C2BF4F5-FC2B-4B39-8732-0EE35FE43DF6.jpeg.html

9698BE22-D653-4500-B267-D9D55FCB37AD.jpeg.html

Shawn, why did you go with the Ironman control arms for stock suspension? I had adjustable arms on my 98’ with an OME 3” lift and JKS components but don’t see the need at factory height.

When the 98’ was still on the factory springs I swapped in WJ arms for tire clearance, plus they are boxed instead of the stamped sheet metal.

I ended up going with Moog coils and Dorman leafs, both heavy duty (supposedly UpCountry heights). I also bought new rear shackles to get rid of the cheap lift shackles, u-bolts, coil isolators and Gabriel Max-Control shocks for all 4 corners. I know Bilstein are nice but I am trying to keep this XJ on a budget, it is going to be a daily 99.5% of the time. Where as my 98’ was strictly a weekend trailer rig.

It is tempting to replace the tie rods and trac-bar while I have it pulled apart but I feel like I am biting off more than I can chew in one project. Already have the rear main, oil pump and rear U-joints planned at the same time.
I chose them because they collapsed to factory length and with the ACOS, OME coils and CS033RB packs I'll need them so I did it in advance.

Cooper AT3 mounted today with matching spare wheel. Looks like it should have been made this way on 245-75/16.
7ab4572ba439b86a89855a00b1700bd9.jpg
bfa9509ac0d5f5bbdccc235ee678352b.jpg
73477f00a73fd022aad88e3163fd9b75.jpg
5c2802727c9028301b5c84a2b62e5135.jpg
21bf5490bc1229045eceefb867ca882e.jpg
6e86ffefb26305590d10756b8d1d0846.jpg
272cbe6dcadbb392e0af3fcd3766dec5.jpg

Attempt #2, this time on the computer instead of the phone.

AABA00FF-B857-43E2-B370-C382942BC6D8.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

0C2BF4F5-FC2B-4B39-8732-0EE35FE43DF6.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

9698BE22-D653-4500-B267-D9D55FCB37AD.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is how tire the factory springs are. Previous owner put 2" shackles on it and it sits at 18" in the rear (hub to fender)

661E25D4-C7A5-4803-B53E-FA7F00476CF6.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ummm, what's the deal? I am posting the exact same way I do on other forums over the years. And why can't I edit the post when it goes wrong. This is very frustrating.

I'll get measurements on mine tomorrow. The old leaf packs on mine were about the same without a lift shackle. Yikes those are sketchy.

Back