• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Panel Retainers

Alaskan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greets; Newish to me WJ with issues, i.e., loose inner plastic door panel to it's fit to the metal outer frame.

Looked up the part number via a pdf parts catalog for 1999 WJ; 6505539AA.

Spent bit more than 16 bucks for a bag of 25 retainers from a big after-market fastener company on the net. Installed.., NONE of them worked.., twice times.., used all but 4. (can't remember how many are required, but seems the bag held enough to do two doors).

Checked a few more places, and all sorts of other wrongly numbered parts were/are offered for the '99 WJ. Figured I'd stick with the parts catalog number, (as above).

Finally on eBay found a weird offering regards 6505539AA. Contacted the Seller as per. Seller offers one, repeat ONE Retainer for a bit more than 16 bucks for ONE retainer. Inquired to the Seller; "what's up?". Was explained to me that that part is MOPAR, hence 16 bucks for just one, and unlike others that use that OEM parts number, the Mopar would work. Yes, I found many of that parts number on eBay to be from commie china, (if ordered from china, no doubt=Customs check, blah, blah).

Went to O'Reilly's and purchased a couple of 3 dollar boxes of a few retainers within each to see if some Ford, or GM retainer would work. Have yet to have a fun day to ascertain a possible fit.

Any suggestions?

Anyone think 16 bucks is too much for just one OEM retainer? Like; Example: 16 bucks times say 10 positions would be $160.00, for 1 door.

Anyone have OEM retainers for the plastic inner door panel?

Closest Chrysler Dealer is some 200 miles away one way, and I have yet to call on them. With what little sense I have left to me--> indicates that they will probably not have them since there is such a flooded market for them offered by after-market places.

We have no junked WJ's in my area in order to find some to recycle.

What to do...!?!

LOL.., thanks for any positive feedback.

Got any non-broken ones? take one to NAPA and start going through their "books" to find a match.

Thanks.., but usually NAPA is closed when I roll past there, blah, blah. However I took a broken retainer, (albeit having correct OEM numbers, but sized too small, i.e., made in china), I was able to compare my sample to some retainers in little boxes at O'Reilly's that has better pm hours.

Turns out that a Dorman type 963030 D, for use on some Chrysler/Gm vehicles will work just fine.

Back