• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cool video about Auto X

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Well I am picking up a civic as soon as its running again(burnt valve so the head is getting replaced). I have been tossing around the auto x idea for a long time and this video pretty much sums it up if you aren't familiar with it.

http://vimeo.com/12067348

Just what I need....another Hobby! :D

I dabbled in Autocross before I bought my first Jeep (1992). I was one a few racing with a truck at the time.

From the days before digital cameras... 1.3L cone squisher.

Image091-1.jpg

I enjoyed it (wandering around the pit areas checking out cars was half the fun), but it's like anything involving cars- "Hey, I can run it in a stock class and do this on the cheap", but a few months later, you've moved up several classes and have spent more on the car than you paid for it, and then some asshat with no insurance rear ends you at 40mph and the car is destroyed the week you finally got it fully sorted out... and you wind up in a Jeep.

Well I am picking up a civic as soon as its running again(burnt valve so the head is getting replaced). I have been tossing around the auto x idea for a long time and this video pretty much sums it up if you aren't familiar with it.

http://vimeo.com/12067348

Just what I need....another Hobby! :D

A CIVIC?? Atleast get a real car if you want to go fast :gee:

A CIVIC?? Atleast get a real car if you want to go fast :gee:

Wheel your Jeep!!!!! Its a $900 car thats in good shape. Need something to drive so I can tear into my jeep anyways. I'm sure if I get the Auto X itch I will find a way to get a WRX. NOt in the cards right now. Look at an auto X field and see how many people run civics. Now go do some school work like a good boy! :looser:

Wheel your Jeep!!!!! Its a $900 car thats in good shape. Need something to drive so I can tear into my jeep anyways. I'm sure if I get the Auto X itch I will find a way to get a WRX. NOt in the cards right now. Look at an auto X field and see how many people run civics. Now go do some school work like a good boy! :looser:

Go look how many people wheelin are using blocks to lift, it's called being cheap and the same applies for the number of civics. The vast majority of cars being cheap civics doesn't mean they are some how the best car to auto X with, just means they are the most accessible.

Nothing against civics, just people seem to make them out to be something they are not. It's like with anything else, sure it will get the job done but the other people out there with an actual investment will look at you as if you were wheelin with blocks.

Go look how many people wheelin are using blocks to lift, it's called being cheap and the same applies for the number of civics. The vast majority of cars being cheap civics doesn't mean they are some how the best car to auto X with, just means they are the most accessible.

Nothing against civics, just people seem to make them out to be something they are not. It's like with anything else, sure it will get the job done but the other people out there with an actual investment will look at you as if you were wheelin with blocks.

I'm not being cheap its just a gas sipper. Not gonna pick up a car payment if I don't have to. From what I hear most guys are just out there for fun at my local auto x track. Yeah there are gonna be some ricers out there. I'm not gonna be one of them. I'm doing it for fun. I do have some decent upgrades planned for it. No fart can on my car! If it becomes something bigger its WRX time. I'm gonna be out there with an auto so its not gonna be competitive in a civic. At least an auto will hold boost pretty well in the WRX. THE CIVIC IS GONNA BE A TURD!!! Plus I'm just busting Ian's balls! :D FWIW the 89-91 Si civics are a strong competitor in the street touring class, right there with the miata.

Last edited:
I'm not being cheap its just a gas sipper. Not gonna pick up a car payment if I don't have to. From what I hear most guys are just out there for fun at my local auto x track. Yeah there are gonna be some ricers out there. I'm not gonna be one of them. I'm doing it for fun. I do have some decent upgrades planned for it. No fart can on my car! If it becomes something bigger its WRX time. I'm gonna be out there with an auto so its not gonna be competitive in a civic. At least an auto will hold boost pretty well in the WRX. THE CIVIC IS GONNA BE A TURD!!! Plus I'm just busting Ian's balls! :D FWIW the 89-91 Si civics are a strong competitor in the street touring class, right there with the miata.

I hear ya and nothing negative directed towards you. I am just commenting on some peoples attitude and reasoning for having a civic. As you said the a lot of people are out there are in civics. I just want to bring up the cause for the high number of civics isn't necessarily because they are a great platform. It's more because of the cost factor involved with setting up a civic on the cheap.

I would love to auto X my 87 supra but the thing is a serious pig and would suck on a tight course. I would also be in such a high weight class I would be up against corvettes/vipers and the such where I would stand no chance ha.

That Civic in the background is one of two at regionals that year- they had been trading the #1 spot for a few years. They're basically go-carts in Street Prep trim (some IT prepped road racers were also in the same class- they were almost as hopelessly outclassed as my RX), and they did very well. It's not just because they're cheap.

thats how i used to drive my 98 neon :D

that thing didn't have a chance with me

Here is my AutoX turd:

civic.jpg

I'd love to try it just once with my XJ, just for the hell of it!

They have a snow run every winter I believe. I'm taking the XJ out there then. Ought get interesting with a Detroit in the rear! :D

and I'll raise you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFdHe-7dr20&feature=related
plus I've got an open rear diff, so it would just be a 1 tire fire instead of a drift:eek:

They have a snow run every winter I believe. I'm taking the XJ out there then. Ought get interesting with a Detroit in the rear! :D

I'd do it in the dry, hey if a YJ can do it:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7qV2jtE9M&feature=related

Yeah my MT's are $150 a pop. Gonna try not to spin them unless I am climbing something.

auto-x is fing awesome, used to run a 92 lx notchback fox body that basically had an SVO motor(single turbo 2.3) backed by a t-5 and quite a few other goodies

and to the guy sayin civics are mostly chosen due to cost, your somewhat right, but look at the cars you will be racing in the class.. with just a couple parts(strut braces, lsd, some select gsr pieces) they can be a XXXXing rocket in their class for not more than a couple thou

sure the OP isnt gonna have the fastest thing on the track, but a-x isnt going to be the vehicles main priority, its gonna be his DD, so i dont think he was looking for something that was gonna stand out in the orange forest

Back