NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering If you are worried about your project still being called an XJ or MJ, this is the place for you. If you haven't ever had a slag burn or know the smell of burning flesh, tread lightly.

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:46
NAXJA Forum User

Boatsides

Well, I finally started a project I have been planning for a couple years now.

I have been constantly getting hung up on my rock rails so what better way to solve the problem then do some boatsides. I also needed a good place to mount a cage off of.

I would have simply followed what XJ ranger did in his writeup, as well as other people had done, but my situation was rather unique.

I have a two door. I want to retain full use of my doors. I want to be able to roll the window down as far as possible. It needs to be "water tight" as it sits outside most of the time. It also needs to be semi quiet as I do not have a tow rig and I drive it to the trail. So with those goals in mind, I decided to start cutting the shit out of my Jeep

Pictures:

How it sits now. ~6.5'' of lift and ~102'' WB.

This is the clearance I had AJs rocker guards. 24 3/4'' front, 23 1/2'' back.

Unfortunately my driveway is not flat, so I had to put the back on ramps to get the rockers flat. It looks like it isnt because the rear has slightly less lift then the front.

Door and front fender off

A 2 door door with manual windows and locks weighs in at 65 lbs. I will be trying to lighten things up a bit by removing everything I can.

I cut out the bottom hinge:

There is more metal behind it then I thought there would be

And then moved it up. Its only tack welded right now to make sure everything works.

And this is how Im going to get the window to not roll down as much.

You can see the nut that is above the window. There is a pin just to the left of that. That is how the window attaches to the roller mechanism. I am going to remove that nut, flip that bracket so its now pointed to the left, and put the nut back on. I will take more pics as I suck at describing it.

Everything below the red line will be cut off. Plan is to do 2x6 1/8 wall for the new rockers, HREW 1 3/4 tube for the legs going from the rocker to the frame, and skin it with 1/2'' UHMW or similar.

Thats it for now. Im hoping this will take less then two weeks, but I usually underestimate how long it takes me to do things, so we shall see.
Old June 8th, 2009, 15:11
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Boatsides

I am so excited for this! How soon do you think it'll be done?
Billy
Old June 8th, 2009, 20:53
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

That's a pretty deep v boat side. I hope it works.
Old June 8th, 2009, 20:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak21 View Post
I am so excited for this! How soon do you think it'll be done?
Billy
At the rate I work, about 5 years. It took me almost 4 years to do a simple axle swap, and I dont really have any experience with body work soooo.........

I think I might have one side done by this weekend. I dont start work until next week, so I have all week to mess around with it. Updates later tonight.
Old June 8th, 2009, 22:27
NAXJA Member

one of those wheels looks shinier than the other - didnt like the cracked one?
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old June 8th, 2009, 23:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_ranger View Post
one of those wheels looks shinier than the other - didnt like the cracked one?
Spare

Alright, so some process.

This is what attaches the window to the roller mechanism. Unbolt the nut, and rotate the bracket.

And flipped.

The bracket now sits above the bottom of the window so you can cut the bottom of the door off. I found out that the window wont roll all the way up, so I will have to figure something out about that, but thats later.

This is making me not want to put the fenders back on. A friend was telling me not to put them back on, but Im not sure it would look very good with a full bodied XJ with no fenders.

Ohhhh, you mean this isnt what you meant when you said to make half doors?

This is how far the window now sticks up when its rolled all the way down. I think I can get it down a bit farther, but we shall see. Anyone know how to cut window glass?

Here is where I will be cutting tomorrow:

Finally, I shaved off almost 20 lbs when cutting off the bottom of the door.

Thats all for today. More coming tomorrow.
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:19
NAXJA Forum User

Cool shit. Keep it coming.
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:24
NAXJA Forum User

you're using 2x6x1/8" for the rockers? seems a little flimsy... i would think 3/16 would be the minimum... besides that everything looks sweet and keep it coming
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp387 View Post
you're using 2x6x1/8" for the rockers? seems a little flimsy... i would think 3/16 would be the minimum... besides that everything looks sweet and keep it coming
I believe 1/8" is URF approved
Billy
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:14
NAXJA Forum User

Matt,

Do you ever have rear passengers? I imagine this would make it really hard for them to get back there.

Keep the updates coming!
Billy
Old June 9th, 2009, 13:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp387 View Post
Two things on that. One, I will be doing an extra bar like my AJs super rails had which should take most of the rock rash damage.

Two, XJ Ranger had a damn good idea of using 1/8'' angle iron along the lower part that is exposed to rock. It will double up the thickness, without adding a lot of extra weight.
Quote:
Matt,

Do you ever have rear passengers? I imagine this would make it really hard for them to get back there.

Keep the updates coming!
Billy
I havent had my rear seat for about 5 years. It was to much of a PITA to have people get in the back with a two door, so I just took it out. I will also be adding a internal B pillar hoop with shoulder harness bars, so even if I wanted to put it back in...... No wonder people like midgets.

Even if I did though, it would be about the same as getting in the front. You would just have to use the rocker as a step, and then get yourself threaded inbetween the B pillar and the seat.
Old June 9th, 2009, 16:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
Two, XJ Ranger had a damn good idea of using 1/8'' angle iron along the lower part that is exposed to rock. It will double up the thickness, without adding a lot of extra weight.
I just never did it, and decided to let my 2x2x.120 dent!

its working well right now
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old June 9th, 2009, 16:58
www.urfracing.com

Quote:
Billy

Must have heard wrong, either that or they were drunk.
Old June 9th, 2009, 20:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Billy

Never!

I've beat the crap out of 3/16", the edge needs to be 1/4".

This is a very ambitious project, and it should be nice. I was going to do something similar to the yellow XJ before I built the buggy, but I was only going to cut the lip off the bottom of the door. This would make the bottom of the door even with the lower door jam, which is still raising the rocker a good amount.....figuring out how to angle the rocker up to that point.

What you're doing should be real nice when you're finished.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old June 9th, 2009, 20:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
Must have heard wrong, either that or they were drunk.
I'll just get drunk to weld mine in then
Billy