• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifying Bushwhackers

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
Ive always liked the look of bushwhackers on xj's but didnt like the fact that they have a habit of coming off when rubbed against a rock or tree or that my tires always seem to get into the fronts at full stuff. I came across a set of used flares for the sweet deal of fifty bucks, kept them at my shop for a month while planning my attack on a good mounting system and without bumpstopping how to keep my tires out of them. I decided the best thing was to trim to bottom lip out of the fronts, this would make the room for my tires and give them a little bit of flex instead of crack if under pressure. This is how I cut the fronts(sorry for the crappy pic, I took it after I put them on.
314v8sn.jpg

This worked out great but be advised I had to take a lot more out of the fenders to get it too look right. After I cut them I found some trim lok we had laying around the shop and capped the rough edges.
5xq2h.jpg

Ok so now I needed to mount them. I used 1/4 hardware in this series. Bolt,washer,flare,washer,rubberspacer,washer,fender,washer,nylock nut. These things arent going anywhere. Ill post a pic of the mounting system later. Then some poser flex!! At full stuff sitting on the bumpstop I have about 3/4" all the way around the tire still and they barely rub while turning but Ill end up trimming just a little bit more to cure this.
30k4qo0.jpg

212amx5.jpg

29xfc79.jpg

Im happy with the way it came out. For those of you wanting to run these flares but are worried about the mounting and clearance I hope this helps you. Ive read countless threads of people bashing these but mine feel extremely solid and love the way they look. I guess time will tell if they survive or not.

Last edited:
I think they look good! I want to buy some but its hard to shell out 400 bucks when everyone says they break and crack all the time. Im keeping my eyes open for a used set as well.

Back