• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any AW4 changes over the years?

magnum CJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 92 cherokee with a badly slipping AW4. did anything change on these that I should be aware of over the years that would hinder my putting a later one in my 92? computer incompatibility? electrical connections? etc?

They changed the wiring in 98. I know it's possible to make a 98+ work too but I'm not exactly sure what changes were made.

Output shaft spline count changed from 21 to 23 in '89 or '90.

So you want a 91-97 and it will direct swap.

I know the computers behave differently after 96, but that doesn't mean the trans is any different. except maybe the electrical connector. my thought behind that theory is that if the mechanicals stay the same, and the solenoids do the controlling, then whatever the program is in the computer doesn't matter to the trans. control of 3 solenoids is just 3 solenoids.

now, I also assume that mechanically they are the same in 96/97 because the switch fix for 1st/2nd gear selection still works the same, except that it generates an engine code with the new computer, but mechanically same operation.

plus they are cheap and only retool for different setups when absolutely necessary. :)

those are my hopes anyway, cause I found a 96/97 trans with relatively low mileage that I can get as a replacement.

The computer changed in 1996 to accommodate OBDII, but the tranny itself did not change. I believe the sensors changed in 98. You can use a 98+ tranny but you end up having to tear the back end apart to swap out rotor for the rear sensor. Best just to get a compatible year to start with. The output spline count and the 4th gear ratio changed in 1990/1991.

So yeah, the 96/97 tranny should work for you.

I just lost my AW-4 Tranny. (97XJ, 4.0L, 231, 4 door, 4WD)

Can anyone else confirm that an AW-4 from any year 91-97 will work in my 97 XJ?

I have read posts here that the 98 is different, however, from one Chrysler website that I was on it said 97 & 98 were the same unique part numbers.

I have a lead on a great deal on a S-4810179 part number tranny but don't want to put out the $ if there will be fitment problem. How confusing. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeffy-97XJ

I just lost my AW-4 Tranny. (97XJ, 4.0L, 231, 4 door, 4WD)

Where? have you tried lost and found?

I assume you've ruled out the easy and much more common electrical problems before jumping straight into a swap?

Yes, 1991 -1997 are the same. I'm also fairly sure that the change was in 98 based on pictures of the rear sensor changing in the FSM. I just posted this in another thread. Its a how-to for swapping over the older sensor and rotor to use a 98+ AW4 in an older Jeep with the older trans computer.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243739279

I have a 99 AW4 in my 89 MJ, but I solved the sensor issue the hard way since I didn't have a donor AW4 to swap parts.

Back