• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BruceB83/Appalachian Armor's Skid plate install w/ Pics

OBXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I ran across BruceB's post a few weeks back and figured it was time to add some protection to the underside of my rig.

The price is unbeatable especially for my typical use of the XJ. I swapped a few emails and phone calls with Bruce and after he answered my questions and set my comfort level I made the purchase using PayPal.

The skid arrived at my door 3 days later and I started the prepwork that day.

As you can see, the skid is packed well and included the instructions and mounting hardware. The instructions were well written and easy to understand for anyone from the average weekend wrnecher to the far more advanced fabricator.

DSC01240.jpg

This skid is beefy!! It arrives unpainted to allow you the option of matching your color scheme if you desire. The welds are clean and the cuts and bends are precise.

DSC01241.jpg

I started by laying down a layer of primer on the top and bottom.

DSC01242.jpg

I followed that with a couple of coats of hammered finish rustoleum and empied a partial can of clear coat to my RE lift components and gas tank skid.

DSC01243.jpg

I allowed the paint to dry over night and began the actual install the next day.

I began by jacking the skid up under the rig with a floor jack. I used a couple of pieces of scrap wood between the jack and skid to protect my pretty new paint. ;)

DSC01244.jpg

Once in place, I used a large C-clamp to pinch the forward end where it mounts to the t-case crossmember.

DSC01245.jpg

I then moved the floor jack towards the frame mount side to make sure that side was nice and tight against the frame.

DSC01246.jpg

Once you have the skid is aligned properly, you can start drilling the mounting holes.

I would suggest starting with the holes on the transfer case cross member. I used a smaller pilot bit to start the holes and followed up with the bit designated in the installation instructions.

DSC01247.jpg

When you have the three bolts installed on the transfer case cross member, you can move on to the frame side mount. I used a cordless drill with a 1/4" socket bit to drive in the self tapping bolts. I have air tools at my disposal but I elected to go this route and torque them down with a ratchet after getting the bolts started. Either way would work fine I'm sure.

DSC01248.jpg

and

DSC01250.jpg

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the whole thing. I took her out this past weekend for some camping and wheeling and the thought of coming down on a rock and taking out my t-case never entered my mind.

For 85 bucks shipped, it's worth every penny and then some!

Re: BruceB83's Skid plate install w/ Pics

85 bucks!? That looks like a great deal to me. Especially for us moderate off-roaders. Great write up as well. Looks good. I just noticed you stay in Raleigh. You must like wheeling in the OuterBanks though eh? I live in Dunn myself, about 35-40mins SE of Raleigh. Maybe one day we will meet up on a local trail.

Yeah, I do enjoy the OB for relaxation and surf casting but UNF is alot more fun to drive!!

Local trails?!? What are these local trails that you speak of? ;)

Shameless poser pic from UWharrie this weekend ;)

DSC01253.jpg

Last edited:

LOL on the "local trails". Im sure you dont have any in the city. Around here we can have fun just going down to the river to camp/fish. Actually can be tough with a rig like mine. And there is some local gravel pits worth messing around in(legally). Thats a nice rig you have there btw. I have 2 questions for you though: 1) How do you like the BFG MT's? 2) How do you think I would do in UNF w/ just 2" lift and these cheapo AT's that came on my Jeep when I bought it?
I have a buddy with a '99 TJ that I could get to ride up there sometime if I cant handle the trails. Hes on 33 MTRs and about 4" lift I believe. With a winch.

Thanks for the compliment!

I LOVE the BFG MT's. I ran BFG AT's ona CJ I had years ago and while great in the sand, they SUCKED in mud. They caked up so fast and I had no traction. The MT's clean out really well and behave great on the road. I'd defiintely go with them again when I go up in size.

I think you'd be fine with your rig. You may not be able to do some of harder trails/obstacles but there are plenty of other places to cruise around that dont require monster tires and lifts. Most of the tough obstacles have bypasses as well so I'd definintely try it out if I were you. You'll just have to be a little more careful in picking your lines due to your clearance.

Armor up and have fun!

Last edited:

I have nothing but great things to say about Bruce and his skid plate. The service was great and the shipping was fast! I have my plate all painted and ready to go on the XJ once the 8.8 swap is complete.:guitar:

You mean he actually made something that works? And halfway decent?

Wow...

Way to go Bruce

ZacSquatch said:
You mean he actually made something that works? And halfway decent?

Wow...

Way to go Bruce

Haha....:twak:....bite me. Hey...who's jeep is in running condition???? Oh yeah...MINE....oh, and it's 10 years older!!! Fix that POS so you can go wheeling.

I fixed it today as a matter of fact. Runnin like a champ and no more leaky. This is after the dealer ordered the wrong part for me TWICE and I had to wait a damn week.

Hey B ruce!

Thanks again for the skid!

Quality product at a great price! I couldnt be happier!

:cheers: :woohoo: :cheers:

Brian, nice color choice. I like it in that light grey...I may do mine that color. Did it get any use at Uwharrie?

Thanks for the compliments guys! I have alot of these things right now so any orders placed from now until end of Friday get half off on shipping.

I'm working on a gas tank skid (pre-97) and hope to have that available within about 3-4 weeks.

would it work in an mj?

DansGreyMj said:
would it work in an mj?

I am assuming it wouldn't since the undersides would be different??? Can anybody confirm if the skids for the XJ will fit the MJ???

I'm pretty sure the x-member and unirail section up front are the same.

Pm me a price on these things.

BruceB83 said:
I am assuming it wouldn't since the undersides would be different??? Can anybody confirm if the skids for the XJ will fit the MJ???

Send me one to test fit and i'll tell you. lol

ZacSquatch said:
I'm pretty sure the x-member and unirail section up front are the same.

Pm me a price on these things.

PM sent.

For future reference, I don't want to get myself or anyone else in trouble so if you want a price or have a "sales" type question, click the link at the top of the page and go to the thread in the For Sale section. I think the question of will it fit the MJ is valid for this thread though. Anybody else know if it's the same?

OBXJ said:
Overall, I am extremely pleased with the whole thing. I took her out this past weekend for some camping and wheeling and the thought of coming down on a rock and taking out my t-case never entered my mind.

For 85 bucks shipped, it's worth every penny and then some!

Man, you guys were robbed. I only paid $83.51 thru ebay.

I modified mine for a drop TC. I will get pix up after I mount it.

rocknxj said:
That looks just like my Warn skid. Do you know what the thickness difference is between the two?

It's not the same, the Warn plate has less coverage. My skid is larger. Plus mine is much stronger. The Warn skid is only 1/8" and mine is 3/16".

Turfzilla said:
Man, you guys were robbed. I only paid $83.51 thru ebay.

I modified mine for a drop TC. I will get pix up after I mount it.
:scared:...You got lucky. Just kidding, that's because of ebay's automatically calculated shipping rates, but yes, you saved $1.49. I don't think that warrents getting "robbed"...lol.

Back