• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

s-10 or dakota leafs???

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I have read about dakota leafs for lift, my buddy told me s-10 leafs work the same? is this true and what years? 2wd or 4wd? and how much lift?

Just about any 2.5" wide spring will work. Springs from SUA applications usually have more arch (s-10, Dakota, MJ, etc...). Lift height will vary, and depends on how you mix and match the leaves when you put it together. You may need to play with it some to get the amount of lift you're after.

How high do you plan to go?

Personally, I have used S-10 and F-150 springs, but have built packs for others using Dakotas as well. All of them with good results up to about 4" or so (see below). Now I am running FULL stock F-150 packs, minus the overload, with relocated mounts. Sits at about 5.5", and rides and performs much better..... but that's another story http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901160.

The main issue with bastards is the more you arch the stock XJ main, the worse your shackle angle gets. The shackle angle will have a HUGE impact on how it rides and flexes! However, in my experience, this doesn't become too much of a problem until you get over about 4" or so. Also, adding a longer shackle will help the ride (as well as give lift), even if it's just from an MJ.

Last edited:
Get a set of leaf springs from an S-10 Blazer SUV. Cut the S-10 spring eyes off and install all the leaves on your XJ main leaf (leave out the flat S-10 overload leaf). You will get 4 inches or so of lift.

Jess said:
Does this mean either s10 or f150 lowering shackles will work as lift shackles for the XJ?
The lowering shackles would technically work, but they are weak, and not designed for the load.
However, stock F-150 shackles can work with some grinding, and are about the same legnth as an MJ. They will give about 3/4" lift, but more importantly, allow more shackle travel.

Jess said:
Does this mean either s10 or f150 lowering shackles will work as lift shackles for the XJ?

Yeah probobly, but i would use these chevy shackles again. i have been running them for over two years, no issues.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?partid=12822&partfamilyid=550&subcategoryid=206&categoryid=30

People like to talk s--t about useing the lowering shackles, and somtimes rightly so, but these ones are braced down to the holes, just like a quality jeep shackle

Those do look a little better than your standard "eBay type" Chevy shackle. I don't think I'd be running them on the 2nd hole though.

The reason I recommended stock MJ, F-150, or Chevy shackles, is simply because they may come free with the springs at the junkyard. They are also an effective way to get more travel, without lifting it to the point it starts messing with the pinion angle too much. Of course shims can easily fix this, and you may need them anyway :dunno: .

If you haven't seen this thread yet, you may find it useful. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083

buzzbombxj said:
Yeah probobly, but i would use these chevy shackles again. i have been running them for over two years, no issues.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?partid=12822&partfamilyid=550&subcategoryid=206&categoryid=30

People like to talk s--t about useing the lowering shackles, and somtimes rightly so, but these ones are braced down to the holes, just like a quality jeep shackle

Those are about the same price as Rough Country's 2 inch shackle. I'm just cheap and trying to save some money. I can now see most drop shackles are not braced as they should be. I guess I'll just spend the extra money and try to not get stuck on the trail.
Thanks

bigpimpinben said:
will my stock shackles not fit on these leafs?

They will fit just fine, you keep the XJ main in there, so you're using the same eyes/bushings.
I'll say it again... The ONLY reason I brought up using a different stock shackle, is because you can probably get it free or real cheap, and it allows more travel than the stock one....This will give a better ride vs. the stock one. You don't have to do it, but why not if it yields better results?

Did you not see this?
TRAILREADYXJ said:
If you haven't seen this thread yet, you may find it useful. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083

hasta

I obtained a set of leaf springs from a 98 Durango 4x4, cut the eyes off and installed under the XJ main leaf, it was good for around 4.5-5 inches. Here's a crappy pic of it as it sits on the 44/9", 33 tsl's. The axle swap is still in it's finishing stages, and I have yet to drive it with the Durango springs, but I have a suspicion it'll be a little stiff.
alley.jpg

Back