• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP D44 stub shaft question

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
I am shopping for chromo shafts for my HP D44 build. I had previously starting buying stuff for a waggy d44 swap to set it up for hi steer w/GM knuckles which i am now going to use on the HP. I've searched this question and am getting mixed answers. Running GM knuckles/spindle with a Ford hub and rotor which stub shaft do i need? Some say it doesn't matter others say GM stubs. One sourse i found stated the Ford lenght as 9.720" and the GM as 9.94". If you are running this set up, please let me know what you used. thanks in advance b

Like i said, i've searched and read...
"You'll need a Chevy or Full Size Jeep Dana 44 flat top knuckles, spindle, caliper mount plate and outer axle shaft from a 73-76."

"Spindles: Your spindle determines your outer axle shaft! Dana ran A LOT of different length outer axles shaft, not to mention all the different groves cut for the external snap ring. Dana also ran a plethora of spindles. You will find parts that interchange, but my suggestion is to pull the axle shafts from the type of axle you pulled the spindle and knuckle from."

When it comes to ordering $5XX shafts i'd like to hear from a member that has done the same swap....

I'm running Chevy length stub shafts with my setup. Chevy style flat top knuckles, small bearing spindles, and Ford hub/rotor assembly.

im running a 77 hp44 with chevy knuckles spindle and calipers, ford rotors, chevy warn hubs and yukon(might be a diffrent brand, i ordered all my stuff though leonards offroad) 4340 shaft with bobby longs 300m u joints
when i bought my chromys i had the same question and was told "not to worry you will understand when you get them". dana 44 stuff is all the same when it comes to the stub shaft. it dose not matter what brake or hub set up you are running there are chevy and ford snap rights cut. my understanding is that all manufactures do this. but dont quote me on this

hopefully that helps

Outer shafts go with the spindles used; '76 Chevy D44 knuckles and spindles use 9.94" outers. I'm also running '76 Chevy knuckles, spindles and 9.94" outer axles with '79 Ford F150hubs and rotors.

Back