• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

COY HILL in Ma is CLOSED!!!

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
this is from an email i got tonight about an issue thats been brewing in recent weeks regarding over-use and more specifically ILLEGAL activity by members of the 4wd community. all is not lost, and organized clubs may soon get some sort of permission.
however, for now please stay out.
thanks!!

OK, some of you may be aware that there have been a lot of questions swirling around the Coy Hill area in MA. First off, the road is an open road.. however, many people hardly drive the road. Anything else is trespassing on either MA Wildlife Management Property or plain old private land.

Recently, there has been an awful lot of "new" trail cutting. There has also been a rash of illegal activity just a bit deeper than simply driving where one shouldn't be and not knowing. Apparently, one particular land owner has been taking pictures and videos of those trespassing. As word has it, some who got caught on film didn't like their 15 minutes so well and decided to drive across the landowner's backyard, flowers, etc. Their home was even broken into/vandalized. Also, a good deal of these new trails and fresh tree cutting is causing a great deal of runoff not only into the landowner's property but down into the road and other properties as well. This is truly what the world thinks we really are.. based on the actions of just a few. and... what the greenies/anti's will use oh so well as evidence as to why we shouldn't be allowed in the woods.

Fortunately, Joe Ostrenga, of the NEA lives right up there and has made contact with the landowner, their relatives and the conservation officer up there. His report of that meeting follows this blurb from me.

So... as of this writing, until further notice, the area known as Coy Hill is closed. Those seen/found trespassing will have their pictures taken and will be reported to the police/EPOs.

There is work being done so that organized clubs will eventually have access... Until then please stay away.

AND.... Please spread this word to your clubs/forums/etc.

Thanx!

Here's Joe's report..
BTW.. Great work Joe!!!

Here is my write up from my 10/12/07 visit with landowners Judy Anair, Richard Anair Jr., and Ware Conservation Commission Chairman Dave Kopacz.
I arrived just before 10am and was greeted by Judy. It was raining very hard and she noticed my YJ with only a bikini top, and invited me in for a hot cup of coffee. We did our formal introductions and while we were waiting for her son Rich and David to arrive, we scanned through the NEA brochure and talked about our mission statement and how we can help her situation. We then went over some of the material that Judy has collected over the last few years. Her notes and pictures included property damage dating back to 1998. This damage was from both natural causes and more recently, run-off due to trail cutting. Her notes on the trespassing was very detailed (dates & times), including license plate numbers and calls to the police. I will be receiving a copy of some recent video footage by Dave that clearly shows plate numbers and what areas they are trespassing in. I also have a map of the immediate properties with landowner's names. Richard and Judy, and also Dave, are friendly with many of them, as this is a very close community. Judy is a very nice woman, the kind you can talk to for 10 minutes and then you'd think you've known her for 10 years. She has been VERY lenient with the trespassers, far nicer than any of us would be if we were in her situation.
Once Rich and Dave arrived, we went through our introductions and went over the maps and photos of the activity. I just want to say, that these people have been through hell. At times, they have had minimal assistance from law enforcement and there are now people cutting down trees on their cart path right near the house. They have actually had Jeeps and trucks drive through their flowers and yard and exit the trail system via their driveway! It truly is unbelievable. The damage from the tree cutting and cart path widening have caused excess run off which ultimately makes it's way back toward the house and the homes down the hill. Dirt bikes and ATV's are also running in the area. Judy has recognized some ATV riders with chainsaws that had come in to widen trails so that they can return in their Jeeps
Despite the pouring rain, we walked for roughly 3 1/2 hrs and the entire route from the "new" trails behind the house, down to the existing power line trail. There has been trail cutting all over the place. I took many pictures to try and illustrate the damage but honestly, they don't do it justice. I will post the pictures soon. Some of the areas that are on private property, I have seen in my research on You-tube and web-shots. Run a search on Google and you might see some familiar rigs. Some probably don't know that they are trespassing. Others are not on the main trail and driving in a non-Tread Lightly manner. The video I will receive should help identify the renegades who've been trail blazing. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Ware Conservation Commission Chair Dave Kopacz is very open minded to our sport. He would rather see the bulk of the trespassers educated through Trail Patrols and absorbed into organized clubs, than to have the area shut down. He understands that if the area is closed, the renegades will still get in and continue to cause damage. He was very reassured in that the NEA4WDC has the capacity to also assist in the repair of the damage caused by the renegades. I have already posted on the BSJ forum and would be able to coordinate a trail cleanup and/or repair as soon as next month if necessary. I'm sure there are many others who would also volunteer their services, so we could get a decent sized crew. Dave also has access to several youth groups he works with who can provide additional assistance.
Now, for the good part! Mr. Kopacz seemed very impressed with what the NEA represents, as he invited myself and other NEA reps to the next Ware Conservation meeting at the town hall. The time will be 7:00pm on either 10/24/07 or 10/25/07. Dave will email me when they have a final date. He said that many of the landowners in the area will be there and that it would be the best chance at getting written permission for the organized clubs to wheel there. Finally! Written permission at Coy!!!! I will definitely be there and ask that anyone who lives close enough, to come down and help me out.

To summarize the next steps we need to take:

1) We need to post up that Coy Hill is currently closed until we can establish relations with ALL the landowners. Richard and Judy are continuing to take plate numbers down and we don't need any "good-guys" being mistaken for renegades. We need to spread the word to EC4WDA and other entities that I don't frequent. Can someone take care of this?

2) I need confirmation (documentation) that a landowner who does not charge a fee for use of their land, is not responsible if someone gets injured. To my knowledge, that is the way it works, but Dave mentioned it a few times and it would be nice to confirm. Can someone help me with this?

3) My next step is to contact the local law enforcement and establish relations. I attempted to meet with EPO Ramsey after my visit, but it didn't happen. I'll make the calls next week to get the ball rolling. Dave Kopacz can help me contact Ware Police Chief Healey.

4) I'd like to try and organize a trail repair to fix the immediate trail damage and add signage. I will contact Richard and Judy and post up a recruitment list when we have a plan. If someone could send me a list of what/how many signs we have, it would be very helpful.

5) Draft whatever document is required that the landowners can sign in one shot to gain written permission. Do we have such a document at the ready?

6) Attend the Ware Conservation meeting at the Ware town hall. Anyone who can come down and assist, it would be appreciated.

I will keep everyone in the loop if there are any changes and the scheduling of the trail repair. Thank you to everyone for your support thus far. Despite the extreme damage I have seen, we have a great opportunity to turn this situation around.

Joe

If you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks for spreading the word Mike, it was a matter of time, hopefully over time the situation will heal. As far as the other two trails mentioned, they are so over used and abused now that it will be a matter of time and the same will happen there.

This is rather unfortunate, but good thing I saw this now before Saturday came around.

so much for goin up there anytime soon, any word on whats goin on?, couple people i know through my buddys work went up there and the ep's were out there and told then to stay out, 1 time warning only, plate numbers/vehicle description/liscense info was taken and if found there again they will be fined, etc, i used to work for a tree company contracted by the power company and we used the trails to get out there to service the lines, and there was a lot of illegal stuff goin down back then, looks like it all is finally catching up...stick to trails that are ok to use, i got into some trouble over wheelin on protected areas when i first started wheeling, no signs and it was a well known area for jeeps and atv's in the palmer area, come to find out, part of it is ok to use, soem of the locals still frown on it, and the earthy crunchy types hate it, but there is a trail thats on the map as a road, however most of the side trails/powerline trail is/are under the concervation comission protected areas, we were warned to stay out and not be back there in the jeeps, atvs/dirtbikes were ok, but treading lightly was highly encouraged, and they would be happier if there werent any vehicles there at all, the only wheeling i know of that we do on a semi regular basis would be a well known area near a local airstrip that does have its share or problems, i/e people driving through cornfields, etc, but for the most part, as long as you talk to the farmers/landowners when theyre out on their land, they dont mind you being out there, its the party kids that show up with 50 people, drink, light fires, trash the place and drive over everything that cause the problems, while the rest of us are just out for some fun in the woods, these people have every right to be pissed off and are well within their rights to close off coy hill, those of us who wish to continue using this area should join in on a trail repair session, along with signage and trail markings, working with the land owners and environmental police to make sure things like this dont happen again, all it takes are a few people doing something stupid to ruin it for everyone, and this is a classic example of it...

although it's not the end of the world, it is still a closure. there is alot more legal wheeling around here than most people realize and the use that area has gotten will mean a percentage of that use will be relocated to other places in the area. the current "politics" are being handled by capable people but it's strictly damage control now and the final outcome is unpredictable but thats the price we pay for the poor choices of those who took advantage of the already enforcement-neglected area.

i took a ride down the road last night and ran into some EPs, they told me to stay on the road or under the powerlines but going off the trail would get me a serious fine.

there are always going to be people out there to ruin it for everyone. Why would you cut new trails when there were plenty there? Hope things pull through. That was one of my favorite places to go wheeling and I only got to go maybe 4 times in 3 years

well its best to just stay out for now.. i understand the curiosity factor but its like a fresh wound... dont mess with it at least till it scabs over and starts healing..

It's going to take a long time to undo the damage, NEA is working hard to work something out, the people that live up there are fed up, and protecting what's theirs. Wouldnt you be with that nonsense happening in what amounts to your front yard? - Most people I have seen here and on other boards figure it out and care, the worst problems come from the people who dont give a F*** and do what they want to anyway. We are the only ones who can stop that. (and it isn't - won't be easy)

XJ Beater said:
true, like billy said, if your gonna go there, stay on the road or under the lines and dont be a dick and eventually things will be fine

The cop even told me if i hit the mud pit he'd pull me out with his explorer.

if there are any cleanups or repair events plans keep us posted, i want to help out any way I can, I live in the area and I don't want to see it get closed permenantly.

You guys may want to check out the discussions on land use in NEOW, or NEA4wd , please, also even though you've gone up there and stayed on the road, that isnt enough anymore, it really isnt about whether it's legal or not, we all need to stay out of there until some kind of workable deals are made, there is a group of people working on that right now. I'm sure someone will post up here if a cleanup announcement comes out. I hope we all can make it up there to help out.

Last edited:
well hers an update........ kiss it goodbye guys.

(from another board)
[quote name='Zaedock' date='Oct 20 2007, 10:09 PM' post='1144296']
Despite my progress with the land owners and Ware Conservation Commission, I have learned today that the state will be eliminating motorized access on the powerline trail that was previously available. That Hill is now CLOSED. This also includes the W Brookfield side of Prendiville road. The other roads that run through the area will remain open. Please reference the NEA forum for additional details.
[/quote]

This from the ec4wda land use list............ it seconds/ verifies the rest that you just posted....

" This is not the death knell but the song is playing. The latest update is that the powerlines are completely off limits. EPO Bill Ramsey said that there is a very slight possibility his supervisors would listen to a green sticker deal for that area. Pay a yearly sticker fee and get to drive there, caught there w/o one and you'll get serious fines. This is being looked into but we are not hopeful.Also, a good section of Penderville Rd, which is a major section of road that people drive is actually abandoned and has reverted to the abutters. (had actually reverted to the abutters back in 1976 but there was never any need to enforce it until now)So overall, consider Coy Hill completely closed. Please spread the word. There were reports of a large group in there this weekend. The EPO said he saw vehicles, one a large green Jeep, and many had CT plates.Please spread this throughout the forums/lists/etc.Thanx!Talk soon, David BrillLand Use Chair: East Coast 4WD Assoc.Land Use Chair: Region D/Northeast of EC4WDALand Use Chair. for Eastern 4 WheelersTread Lightly! Master TrainerBlue Ribbon CoalitionNAMRCCTJEEP.ORGORBASEMA/SANBrilliant Signs & GrafixGuilford, CT"

the abandoned road appears to be the Ware end of prendeville rd basically from where the power lines cross, north toward Rt 9.. thank you to everyone who is putting effort into releiving the current situation.

even bigger thanks to those who just couldnt be responsible behind the wheel....

Back