• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

subs in xjs

2 12"s for christmas last year (meh) and a JBL 600.1 from a junker.

pics076.jpg

pics074.jpg

Once I have income I'll be upgrading to an Adire Brahma or RE XXX 15.

hempy said:

OMG!! get rid of that amp now. Make some money fast and get a new amp. I'm just messin with ya, but you'll be happy once you get a nice amp. I got the exact sony sub just a year older hooked up to a sony 1200 watt amp and it hits at 120 db. And that has set off a couple car alarms. Sony is the way to go for a cheap but good quality sub.

infinity 854w rms driving 2 infinity 1232w 12" ers in custom box

2048493_2_full.jpg

rockford power 12 old school ones the new ones suck.Powered by a 500 watt rockford mono amp. If I were buying one now I would go with JL audio

kyfreeride04 said:
OMG!! get rid of that amp now. Make some money fast and get a new amp.
Can't beat free. And it's certainly not the amp that sucks, I've seen one pushing a 15" Adire Brahma and hit 140. I'm currently trying to get both his amp and his sub off his hands.

cool i'll have to get pics of mine. i have a digital designs 2515 in a 5 cube box with 2 DD (digital designs) ss1 anps strapped down to 1 ohm makeing around 3000 watts max. i also have a 1.5 cap and a kinetik 2400 battery. ive done 150.4 at competition. i wasnt real sure how my thread would be recieved with all the hard kore guys around here.

hempy said:

pics076.jpg

pics074.jpg

Once I have income I'll be upgrading to an Adire Brahma or RE XXX 15.
WOW! imagine all the poor bear cubs that it took to cover that box

kyfreeride04 said:
OMG!! get rid of that amp now. Make some money fast and get a new amp. I'm just messin with ya, but you'll be happy once you get a nice amp. I got the exact sony sub just a year older hooked up to a sony 1200 watt amp and it hits at 120 db. And that has set off a couple car alarms. Sony is the way to go for a cheap but good quality sub.

Actually those JBL amps are very under rated, more power than a Sony 1200 watt! Sony is VERY over rated!
I am NOT a fan of Sony, ESPESIALLY their CD players and Amps! I install for a living and can tell you they aren't worth the cardboard box they come in.
120 DB is nothing! A friend from work has 2 RF 10" T1s in a ported box that hit 146db the other weekend, my old 10" HE subs hit 139. Bandpass boxes suck too, they have no frequency response and are very "boomy" not clean.
I have gotten away from all the bass, and have almost nothing in my XJ. I have 1 12" Alpine R series in my car as well as great mids and highs. I have as much power going to my main speakers as I do my sub. Hit 136 with just the 1 12".

truth be told RF isnt all that great either. i also intall and all we sell are DD because all the other brands dont last. we have 7 blown JLs in the shop right now now and 4 RFs and ones a T1.

txredxj said:
truth be told RF isnt all that great either. i also intall and all we sell are DD because all the other brands dont last. we have 7 blown JLs in the shop right now now and 4 RFs and ones a T1.

I agree, RF has taken a dive over the last few years. I see blown rockfords fairly often. I wouldn't buy any of their stuff anymore. We RARELY have problems with Alpine though, and the type X kicks ass!

Last edited:
hempy said:
pics074.jpg

I have the similar amp JBL 180.2, I don't plan on wining any sound level competions so I just purchased an Infinity perfect 10". That JBL amp when bridged is 380wX1 rms at 4 ohms and I intend on putting it in the cubbyhole.
I also just purchased, along w/the sub, an Infinity amp 111wX4 rms to power my existing Boston acoustics pro series 5.5, in the rear sound bar, and Infinity Perfect 6.5" component set in the front doors. Where do you guys think I should mount the tweeters? I heard there bright as hell :sunshine:

I just bought the sub, amp, and perfect components for less than 600$, I think it will be loud and clear :music:

i got 2 audiobahn 12s and an american 1100 amp. mine bumps loud enough. i also got new doorspeakers and about to put some tweeters. so wen country musics playd it dont sound like i have subs but when the gangsta in me comes out i bump like a prisoner ina jailbreak!!!

raypla said:
I have the similar amp JBL 180.2, I don't plan on wining any sound level competions so I just purchased an Infinity perfect 10". That JBL amp when bridged is 380wX1 rms at 4 ohms and I intend on putting it in the cubbyhole.
I also just purchased, along w/the sub, an Infinity amp 111wX4 rms to power my existing Boston acoustics pro series 5.5, in the rear sound bar, and Infinity Perfect 6.5" component set in the front doors. Where do you guys think I should mount the tweeters? I heard there bright as hell :sunshine:

I just bought the sub, amp, and perfect components for less than 600$, I think it will be loud and clear :music:

So were do you folks think I should place the tweeters?

raypla said:
So were do you folks think I should place the tweeters?

Well, those tweeters are bright, but to keep imaging I'd still mount them high on the door. There may be a setting in the crossover to cut the tweeters some, we no longer sell infinity, so I am not as familiar with the newer stuff.

yes high on the doors is good... i mounted mine near the door handle on my 99 but i quickly realized the the would rip off easily so i flush mounted them into the doors...i took the door panel off cut and used some lexel a clear epoxy that is great and shouldnt ever come off on the backside of the tweeters and the crossovers inside the door panel too so everything is hidden... now when i take my doors off i dont know where ill mount anything bc i have tube doors on the way...maybe underdash i have no clue ot get the kickpanels by q logic but it is kind of a vulnerable spot... i have some alpine components type r on an 300x4 jensen... as for my system to older jl 12's in a small sealed box (.7 cu ft per sub) with a planet audio 800x2 at 4 ohms and 2 1.4 farad caps... sounds great with a panasonic dvd headunit... my ultimate goal is to build a custom center console inbewtween my two bucket seats in the back and run it all the way to the front...stash the subs and throw the amp and caps under the two bucket seats somehow...not much space to work with so i can open up the back for more space since my rear is chopped...anyways a lot of work but can be done... projects

Pioneer headunit 22W x 4 - $99
4 - Pioneer 5 1/4" - $74
1 - Kenwood 500W 2 Ch Amp - Free
1 - 10" Sony Xplod - $54
1 - 10" Box - Free

Sound is great, Hits nice, I don't think I need more than that after all, I'm in a Jeep not a Escalade.
I mounted the amp on the box for the purpose of having it removable.

Back