NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Street and Performance
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Street and Performance A forum to discuss modifications related to street XJs and performance tweaking.

Old April 12th, 2007, 08:11
Gone but not forgotten...

Found a Jeep for my "street Jeep" project..

1999 XJ SE 2WD 2-door 4.0L auto, 120k miles for $2900. Does this price seem about right? I really want a Clssic or Limited model, but my budget isn't gonna let that happen (under $4k for a vehicle)

Plans are:

-16" or 17" ProComp 7089s in black
- stock size tires, 255/70 17 right? brand?
- tint
- maybe TJ coils up front or cut a coil off to level it out
- upgrade bushings and swaybars
- Maybe a cheap exhaust like Rustys
- debadge it

Any other ideas? Its gonna be my DD/Beater and I am looking to keep the mpg as high as possible. I thought maybe 4.10s in the rear, but I figure I'd lose mpg and thats not the point of this vehicle.

You tell him to put that thing in 4-low, take off his My Little Pony panties and drive it outta there

Last edited by ZachMan; April 12th, 2007 at 08:15.
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Found a Jeep for my "street Jeep" project..

Nice find!
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoehandley
Nice find!
Not mine yet...

The guy drives it to work ever so often and parks it "forsale". I passed it by yesterday for the 200th (been forsale a loooong time) time and asked about it. Its not the cleanest thing, but no leaks and the underside is clean. The guy is a mechanic so all fluids and brakes and tires are new. He was just wanting payoff since it was his daughters Jeep, but lost her job so he makes payments and just needs it gone. I told him if I come back next month will it be $200 cheaper and he said yes, lol. So I may offer him $2500 if I can't find a nicer Jeep. Only reason its not selling is because its a 2wd.

You tell him to put that thing in 4-low, take off his My Little Pony panties and drive it outta there
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:34
NAXJA Forum User

Dad was wondering why it was so cheap, he didn't catch the 2wd part of it when he first read you post.
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:59
NAXJA Member

255/70/17 is a 31" tire, with 7" of sidewall thats way too tall for performance handling. i run a 26.5" tire with a 5.8 inch sidewall, and an even lower profile would benifit handling greatly.

i would find someone selling some 17" wheels off of a mustang locally to you and test fit them on your jeep, cobra wheels would look great, you just need to make sure the backspacing looks right when they are bolted up. (centerbore on the mustang wheels might be too small by 5 mm)

for tire size, try something in the 255/50/17 range,
http://www.vulcantire.com/stz01_t.htm
at only 108 a piece
and you can run them on an 8 or nine inch mustang wheel. personally i would get the 9in in front and the 10.5 in back. but i just really like the look
of the cobra r wheels
I'd have to say a hand sledge or an angle grinder is the most useful tool though. You can do anything from brutalize your fingers to breaking everything around the thing you're trying to hit/cut with them.
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:28

Thanks so 255/50 17, okay sounds good.

I like some mustnag wheels, but I'll probably fo with those 7089s I love them haha.

Old April 12th, 2007, 09:29
NAXJA Forum User

I've thought about 15x8 Canyons or 16x8 Rubi wheels with street tires from time to time, but mine does pretty good with the 235/75/15's sofar so I don't worry about it.