• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TNT Custom HP44 Conversion Kit

Cruzin Illusion

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I would just let everyone know about TNT HP44 Conversion Kit. I spoke with Bob and Matt from TNT about a HP44 Weld on Truss and they told me they were in the works on one. I am building a HP44 out of a 1976 Ford F-150. After preping the axle the Kit took appoximately 1 1/2 hours to install. Everything is properly located the only measurement you will need is pinion angle.

1. Surgically remove the weld-on wedges off of your Dana 44**
2. Set differential on jack stands
3. Set appropriate pinion angle (prop in place)
4. Drop truss on housing set its top parallel to the ground
5. Tac truss in place
6. Drop coil buckets on tube, slide against truss on either end
7. Set coil bucket angle with top parallel to the ground
8. Tac coil buckets in place
9. Set left and right lower control arm brackets on the housing per install instructions
10. Tac LCA mounts in place
11. Flip down mask, burn it home

2-2.jpg

1r.jpg

4-4.jpg

3-3.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Tom

Kit looks great. Do you have any idea if it would work for an HPD44 cut down to Waggy width? Or is it strictly for the full-width conversion?

MJ_Chubs said:
Kit looks great. Do you have any idea if it would work for an HPD44 cut down to Waggy width? Or is it strictly for the full-width conversion?

I narrowed mine down to a waggy total width but cut down both sides evenly. I took 2.45" off both sides. I was planning on from the beginning to get chromoly shafts so I just ordered them in a custom width. If you narrow the axle to a waggy width which would you would cut down the passenger side 1.79" and the drivers side 3.11" your axle would track .66" off center.

baseballneal86 said:
How much?

The total kit which includes the truss with the upper control arm mounts welded on with RE superflex bushings, the coil purches, and the lower control arm mounts is $389.75. I have talked to a few people that have made there own trusses, coil perches and control arm mounts and said they would go the route I did if they coudl do it over again. Just for comparison purposes RE's TJ front axle bracket kit runs $403.00 without the truss.

91 Jeep Project said:
Why the large hole on the short side of the truss?

Some HP44 depending on what year have to vent line located on the back side of the center section on the short side.

Starboard M said:
What are you going to do about a track bar mount?

I have ordered my High Steer arms and I am going to wait to weld the bracket on to make sure that the angle of the trackbar will match the angle of the drag link to make sure there is no bump steer. That is the only reason I do not have it welded on. TNT Customs will also be providing the bracketry for me.

those tnt boys aint half bad they have some good stuff. I would gladly pay $400 for there d44 kit, nice engineering saves me a ton of time. Great deal. Please post pics of it done.

Looks good.. Will there be any issues with the TR hitting the coils with high steer?

CrazyXJ said:
I really like this kit and would like to use it. But on there website it says it will not work with hollow cast v sections. Can anyone help what do I do?

Retube or get a diffrent axle.

HilltopXJ said:
Looks good.. Will there be any issues with the TR hitting the coils with high steer?

The one axle TNT Customs did they used the stock steering arms on the knuckle and had no problems. I am going to use the high steer arms from Parts Mike Parts that are 7.25" from the center of the balljoint to the center of the TRE. At this current time I have a WJ brake conversion on my dana 30 which is 6 7/8" from the center of the balljoint to the center of the TRE. I don not believe that I will loose that much if any in my turning radius. Prior to switching to the WJ setup I was using Phat Jeeps steering set up and I know that the mounting point of the heim was alot farther out than 7.25". A friend of mine is running a HP44 in his XJ and he has full stop to stop turning and his measurement is 7.25" from center of ball joint to the center of the TRE. He is using poison spyders arms and using the center of the three holes in the arm.

Back