• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 stub shaft snap ring

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
how importiant is it?

i got stubs in my axle that i can use the snap ring with, but the spare set of axles that i own, have the snap ring groove too far back to be used with my spindle - which is weird to me because both came out of late 70's ford truck equipment.

this is what i am dealing with:
click for full size

the shaft on the left is the OE shaft that came with my axle and the one that I will be running, the one on the right is all i have for a spare right now and i dont think that i will be able to get the snap ring in the groove.

FWIW - 1976 F-150 front end with stock f-150 5 stud disc brake knuckles, small bearings, factory spindles, 297/760 shafts

thanks

I have run into the same problem with Dana 44 stub shafts. Its my understanding that the only differences in them are the over all length of the shaft and location of the snap ring so technically you can put it in your hub and run it but the snap ring wont fit. This shouldnt be a problem if you need a spare to get out of a harry suituation but the seal on the back side of the spindle wont be tight and theres the potential for water and such to get in (thats the purpose of the snap ring).

AARON

I had the same problem when I put a Warn premium locking hub set on my old 44, called them and they said it was not necesary, ran it without and never had a problem

MrShoeBoy said:
I have run into the same problem with Dana 44 stub shafts. Its my understanding that the only differences in them are the over all length of the shaft and location of the snap ring so technically you can put it in your hub and run it but the snap ring wont fit. This shouldnt be a problem if you need a spare to get out of a harry suituation but the seal on the back side of the spindle wont be tight and theres the potential for water and such to get in (thats the purpose of the snap ring).

AARON

hmm

ooook

thanks guys

Lincoln said:
Somebody should have said it before now. LEARN TO SEARCH! :D

I only say this because you have more posts in the den than I do.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57820&highlight=stub

It's the same difference. I don't recall ford ever using the short stub though.

the length is the same, but the snap ring gove is in a different spot

i did search, but most of the results were people making fun of Big Red anyhow and i was quickly discouraged...

thanks

I do not know if it makes a difference, but, I installed some warn hubs on a dana 60 the other day and the instructions said if the snap ring fits use it. If it does not, don't worry about it. I would have to imagine the same holds true for the dana 44.

XJ_ranger said:
the length is the same, but the snap ring gove is in a different spot

i did search, but most of the results were people making fun of Big Red anyhow and i was quickly discouraged...

thanks

Well that wasn't any fun. :D

tealcherokee said:
why not get a groove cut in the space for the snap ring if it bothers you, if not, id just not use the snap ring...
is is just me - or is hardened metal hard on lathes? that and i dont have one.

ill run the snap ring on my shafts, but for my spares - i wont worry about it...

XJ_ranger said:
is is just me - or is hardened metal hard on lathes? that and i dont have one.

ill run the snap ring on my shafts, but for my spares - i wont worry about it...

Seriously don't worry about it. :D

Lincoln said:
Seriously don't worry about it. :D

Because someone in Idaho doesnt worry about it?

go grow me some potatoes :D

XJ_ranger said:
Because someone in Idaho doesnt worry about it?

go grow me some potatoes :D

And a guy from Nebraska is saying that? We've got some serious issues. :laugh3:

Lincoln said:
And a guy from Nebraska is saying that? We've got some serious issues. :laugh3:

just wait till you see my front end - Ive painted it "Corn yellow"

:D

wonder where this thread is headed:

Lincoln said:
I only say this because you have more posts in the den than I do.

Lincoln said:
Can we say you corn holed your axle?

well as Lawn Cher would remind me from time to time - i already stuffed a 9" in my rear end...

:D

Back