NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Midwest Chapter
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Midwest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 220 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2012, 17:35
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos
Re: Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrocker1 View Post
if they are the anchor ones, they are not so hot...i got those ones from rock auto and they appear to be starting to crack only after one year in the engine bay
I bought those and was so disappointed in their quality I used them for some random project instead of the jeep. Wasn't worth the shipping money and hassle to return them. I'd rather run unbroken junkyard OEM ones than Anchors.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old May 14th, 2012, 17:40
Curmudgeon

Looks like a good time.... but, oh,me achin' back.

The Steve Winwood show on Friday night was pretty well staged. Only the 2nd show of the tour, and the sound guys missed a couple of early cues and had a little feedback problem here and there. Instrumentals were generally very good, lead vocals as well, backing vocals were pretty low for the first 30 minutes.

Unlike a lot of modern acts, Winwood & his band have a very simple stage presence. They just walk on stage, and start playing, no introductions. Lighting is little more than color washes & solo highlighting, but very well done. Every member of the band has his featured solo performance, and Winwood does appear to make the effort to recognize everyone on stage.

This is one of the shows that I'll go back to again and again.

"Jeeps are Cherokees. All other models are wannabes." Deb. K.
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:36
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
I bought those and was so disappointed in their quality I used them for some random project instead of the jeep. Wasn't worth the shipping money and hassle to return them. I'd rather run unbroken junkyard OEM ones than Anchors.

Ive got junkyard mounts in mine lol. Youpull, 6 bucks a pair. Im needing to get a trans mount
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ&CHZ4ME View Post
realized this past weekend I am too young to have this much stress......so, I am going to acheive to be debt free, minus a house paument, in 1 year or less. I am literally willing to sell everything I own (minus wife and kid). Spoke w/ an auctioneer today about the house and land prices......I have to explain to Camille that once you take emoion out of all this stuff, it really is a business, and if a business can not support itself then it is time to go. I am sure it will not fly with her family, but who cares, they cause 90% of the problems. Next up will be to decide where we want to move too and if we want to transfer to another state etc. Decisions, decisions.......

Cheese "big move, but will be well worth it" Man

like^ ive managed to survive my youth without a lot of debt....my stuff aint as cool but i dont worry about paying for any of it!
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiXJeff View Post
They just walk on stage, and start playing, no introductions.
no frills...exactly how i like things. im not much into hard rock, though i do dig some of it. my favorite shows are when the band comes on, gives a hell of a show, shows gratitude to their fans and gets the heck off aaaaaand they know how to treat all of the people who make the shows happen. the entertainment industry works best when people know how to collaborate
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:59
Curmudgeon

Well... at the other end of the spectrum are things like Pink Floyd and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It all depends on the performers. Where things go off the rails are when it just doesn't hold together.

One other thing I noticed about the lighting (and staging in general.) This was a budget production, all traditional fixed instruments & a couple of follow spots. No full motion instruments. And all cabled microphones & instruments, no wireless devices at all.

"Jeeps are Cherokees. All other models are wannabes." Deb. K.
Old May 14th, 2012, 19:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ&CHZ4ME View Post
realized this past weekend I am too young to have this much stress......so, I am going to acheive to be debt free, minus a house paument, in 1 year or less. I am literally willing to sell everything I own (minus wife and kid). Spoke w/ an auctioneer today about the house and land prices......I have to explain to Camille that once you take emoion out of all this stuff, it really is a business, and if a business can not support itself then it is time to go. I am sure it will not fly with her family, but who cares, they cause 90% of the problems. Next up will be to decide where we want to move too and if we want to transfer to another state etc. Decisions, decisions.......

Cheese "big move, but will be well worth it" Man
Family Farms are both a Business and a Home. I don't have to explain it to you that a family's Land is taken very seriously. You farm it, you hunt on it for food or sport, your community relationship is built on how much you share your land for hunting or winter recreation. It's a personal thing that goes beyond being a business.

You sell the Farm, and you will likely never own more land than a 1/16 Acre urban lot.

You may think on ways to change your business model to increase profits. Don't know what your model is now, but if you are considering leaving the Business, it obviously isn't working as well as you would like. I've seen farms change to Alpaca production, Sheep, Corn Mazes in the fall (there are some intricate ones around here), Steers instead of Dairy...

'Course, if you are not all that attached to the land, and just want to get out... Not sure what kind of business relationship you have with the relatives, but if they are partners, perhaps they will buy you out given the option.It may assuage feelings if they are given 1st pick.

Good Luck!
Old May 14th, 2012, 19:52
NAXJA Member

Quote:
no frills...exactly how i like things. im not much into hard rock, though i do dig some of it. my favorite shows are when the band comes on, gives a hell of a show, shows gratitude to their fans and gets the heck off aaaaaand they know how to treat all of the people who make the shows happen. the entertainment industry works best when people know how to collaborate

I like...no love...bands that not only play well, but also put on a show. Take this video for example. The lighting is crazy awesome with depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KrLWFvulPQ
Old May 14th, 2012, 20:24
NAXJA Member

i need to stay off craigslist...i see things like this

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/3011534719.html

and all i can think about is turning it into something like this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/461019/1982-subaru-brat

minus the independent front and rear suspension...im kind of a subie fan, but fortunately the subie is my wifes so she won't let me do anything cool to it thats okay, i have 3 projects going now and that is quite enough
Old May 14th, 2012, 20:45
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy87 View Post
Ive got junkyard mounts in mine lol. Youpull, 6 bucks a pair. Im needing to get a trans mount
I'm running mounts in the MJ that came with one of the motors I bought off here... I don't even remember which. I went to replace the mounts, pulled the old one out, then got the new ones out of the box, decided against those, and swiped the ones off a random engine sitting in the corner of the yard instead.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old May 14th, 2012, 20:52
NAXJA Forum User

Tyler, we will talk at the fest, but for now, I think you REALLY need to think about this decision.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:55
NAXJA Member

Quote:
well i survived...this is usually the biggest train wreck festival of the year and it went about as smoothly as it could. oh and tyler...the view from stage got much more interesting as the night went on. no pics of that though.

first band of the day...art of dying. SUPER nice dudes. its always nice when musicians take the time to come say thanks and shake your hand after their done playing.

chevelle was probably the best band on our stage for the day heres a shot from my point of view. they had their own monitor tech so i got to chill out and watch the show.

here is a crowd shot during the headliner...i couldnt see the fans in front of the other stage until they lit their lighters. it looked pretty neat from where i was sitting...

very tired today...basically i got home from the show load out, slept an hour and went to another show load in. this lifestyle hurts a lot more than it used to!
I still wish I would have went to school to run sound professionally. I was really into it when I was in high school, but ended up getting a steady job, and that was the end of it. I still get chills down my back when I hear a good band playing and it's mixed perfectly!
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:56
Chziest Past MWC Prez.

I am just looking at selling the land and home that I own personally which is only @125 acres with the house and outbuildings. The family has the rest of the ground in their possession. As with any grass farm, they do not cash flow when all things are taken truly into consideration, even with 50% equity already in it. I am very fortunate to have a good paying day job that helps to supplement the income level of the farm to be able to make ends meet. The farm that I own and live on is not tied to anything else of the families and I have only had it less then 5 years do there are no real attachments to it. We have the possibility/opportunity to double our investment in this current land market and I would really like to take advantage of it if able. The family farming operation will still be there minus this small piece of ground which only stocks <70 head typically. I will continue to run the row crop side of things on the other farms, just won't have the daily grind of a full time day job and running cattle at home. Concerning Ron's statement, I should clarify that the cattle actually do turn a profit to cover themselves and intake, it is that the land does not cash flow at full stocking capacity due to terrain and usable forage. We have quite a bit of timbered areas that we have even logged/dozed off for income off the trees and gained grass production. There us a lot of emotion tied to the whole thing so the final decision is going to be a tough one. The auctioneer I spoke with yesterday said that what we have is what everyone is looking for...a manageable acreage within 10 minutes to town with a nice house and outbuildings and a well kept grass farm with improvements, and when he told me this I remembered how hard it was for us to find it originally and how we slowly acquired the acreage. My son has been raised here as well and it was always my thoughts/dream to hand it to him one day.....see, too much damn emotion tied too it!! I guess I can view it from many different angles. Some people are debt free, some nearly are, some make their extra income go towards hobbys/toys (mammoth enclosed trailers ), and some on farms.....I guess it is all on how you look at it. Before we owned this farm we blew all sorts of money, at one time we bought new cars every 6 months just b/c we could.....we had a wakeboard boat, jet skis, a Harley, a nice TJ, and a lot at a private lake. I honestly would like to go back to having that time and being able to spend more fun time with my kid instead of getting home from work just to work some more. Blaghhhhh, this is the shit that keeps me up at 3:55 and writing an essay of endless ramblings. But it is you guys that shine light on the subjects from various angles.....thank you for that.

Cheese "lots going on in this head right now" Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Hole View Post
At least he wasn't tongue punching her fart box..

Or was he???
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:00
NAXJA Forum User

My hats off to you, Cheesedude! I have a hard enough time rolling my lazy ass out of bad to go to one job. You got a job and a farm. Takes someone like you to be able to farm, work, and build a jeep and still have time to do other shit!
[/QUOTE]
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:53
Want to puff on my pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexdXJ View Post
My hats off to you,
See, two hats....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13 View Post
[RTETTY DTR I JSVR NRVER BERNN THING DRRND.