NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 18th, 2004, 20:04
NAXJA Forum User

Help! Pressure fitting on transmission cooler lines

Hi all, I've got a problem in my brother's comanche. It's an 88 that's had a 92 HO motor and all the underhood stuff swapped in, so essentially think 92 cherokee, I guess.

Anyway, it has a factory external transmission cooler in addition to the one internal to the radiator. The external is in front of the radiator, and the whole setup is plumbed so that the tranny fluid comes from the tranny, into the external, out the external, into the radiator, then out the radiator and back into the tranny.

The problem is, the "high pressure" fitting on the line coming from the tranny into the external cooler is leaking fluid all over the place. After driving a few miles around town today I looked underneath and the axle and everything on that side underneath was coated in ATF.

I have the correct little white plastic tools that you're supposed to shove into the fitting on the hard line side to take them apart, but I cannot get the fitting to come apart for the life of me. Does anyone have any experience with this type of fitting? It's also the same type that's used on the high pressure side of the fuel rail if I recall correctly. How the heck do I get this thing apart, and what do I do with it to stop it from leaking once I get it apart? Is there a seal in there that can be replaced?

OR... can I just cut the fitting out and replace with a hose clamp? Does the tranny fluid really have that much pressure that it needs one of these fittings?

Any help would really be appreciated, I'm trying to get this thing fixed tonight so my bro can drive it tomorrow.
Old August 18th, 2004, 20:17
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Help! Pressure fitting on transmission cooler lines

I have been using dual hose clamps in three spots amungst my tranny coolers for +- 3 months, must not be toooo much pressure HA!
Old August 18th, 2004, 23:15
NAXJA Forum User

Nevermind, I'm a dork. I was using those little plastic things that you shove into the ends of high pressure fittings, when all I needed to do was squeeze the two little plastic tabs sticking out of the end, not spread them apart.

Guess I fixed the leak, took it apart and one of the o-rings was all out of whack in there, put everything back together and no more leaks.
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:52
NAXJA Member #1052

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMatt
Nevermind, I'm a dork. I was using those little plastic things that you shove into the ends of high pressure fittings, when all I needed to do was squeeze the two little plastic tabs sticking out of the end, not spread them apart.

Guess I fixed the leak, took it apart and one of the o-rings was all out of whack in there, put everything back together and no more leaks.
Yep, there are 2 types of connections. The older ones use external plastic tabs, which don't require a tool. You're screwed if a tab breaks, though, which is why I imagine they went to the newer internal metal tabs, which require the tool
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizassist
Yep, there are 2 types of connections. The older ones use external plastic tabs, which don't require a tool. You're screwed if a tab breaks, though, which is why I imagine they went to the newer internal metal tabs, which require the tool
Since I'm a couple weeks away from fitting one to my '01, can anyone tell me if they used a similar arrangement on the newer coolers? I'd hate to get halfway through doing it, need to back out the change, and find I don't have the appropriate tool for doing so.
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:58
NAXJA Forum User

flush dirt out of fitting with break-clean first