NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 29th, 2004, 10:45
NAXJA Forum User

how can I tell if I have bad rear leaf springs on add a leaf lift

I bought my xj with an add a leaf lift --how can I tell if the rear springs are bad

they are pretty flat along the top last foot and a half farthest away from the front and rear of the axles and even go down maybe half an inch.

Also the center bolt seems to be not verticle but is forward several inches on top, and the bottom add aleafs are not held in by the band that holds the leafs togeyther.

If I need new springs how hard is it to replace them.

If I don't replace them what bad can happen.
Old July 29th, 2004, 13:59
NAXJA Member # 683

Re: how can I tell if I have bad rear leaf springs on add a leaf lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapaul
Also the center bolt seems to be not verticle but is forward several inches on top, and the bottom add aleafs are not held in by the band that holds the leafs togeyther.
Are you saying that the center pin isn't directly over the axle, or are you saying that the top of the pin is bent? If the center pin isn't over the centerline of the axle it isn't mounted in the perch properly ad you've got big problems, so I'm trying to not think of that option.

Sounds to me as though you have half-length AALs. The end of the AAL is about halfway between the axle and the end of the spring, right? The whole spring gets a kind of a stretched W shape to it because of that? It's time to replace the whole mess at that point.
Old July 29th, 2004, 14:05
NAXJA Forum User

Thusly is why I don't like AAL
How's that for being helpful?
Old July 29th, 2004, 15:24
NAXJA Forum User

The leafs have a revese bow on both ends, The drivers side hase a broken center pin and you can see a 1/4" gap between the aal and the stock leaf below it, he has had problems with it busting the u-joint on the driveshaft which is more than likely caused by spring wrap, I have already told him the leafs are gone and need replaced after he brought it by my house to look at.
I guess he wants a second opinion
Old July 29th, 2004, 15:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapaul

If I don't replace them what bad can happen.

HMM what bad could happen... Your center pin is broke, you have a large gap...your busting u-joints... Your kids are in the rig, your 80 miles from anyone who cares, and your wife is 7 months pregnant in the summer heat...( Actually this is my senario ) WHAT BAD COULD HAPPEN ?

SHIT, there are still dumb questions to be asked. ( I know, I've asked at least one.)

Lets see, you could shear off your u bolts you axle comes out from underneath, you flip over, and the FULLY LOADED 3 trailer semi can't stop quick enough...

Can you hear me NOW !