• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sealing welds

Jlanesey

NAXJA Forum User
I just gabbed up some rockers for my xj.
Just wondering what everyone uses so seal the welds between the sheet metal and the tubing. I didn't run a straight bead the whole way and would like to seal it so no crap gets inside the fenderwall and sill.

I'm not 100% sure what youre saying. but if you mean stitch weld end caps? or do mean rocker replacement tube? if its end caps i'd weld em solid.

you could get a caulk tube of window sealer. the stuff isnt cheap but its awesome for sealer.

I welded the ends of the 2x4 closed, was just wondering about the seam between the rocker and the tin.
qynegabe.jpg

I bought some of that stuff the guy uses to turn a screen door into a boat, im going to use that to seal my frame rail stiffeners. Idk if that would work in your application

Any automotive paint supply sells seam dealer in a caulk tube...it holds up better against the solvents in the paint you'll use to cover it.

I got a tube of seam sealer from napa. I managed to put a decent bead down the whole sill joint, the underside overhead welds were tough though and I struggled to get good welds for any length. I figure ill seam seal all those bottom joints generously before I undercoat, bed line them. I'm paranoid of water getting behind all this stuff.

Steel isn't cheap.

I welded that whole seam and now I'm doing a thin coat of bondo over the edge so I can have a factory looking smooth roll at the top of slider where it meets the sill

umumymag.jpg
Rock rails finally done.

Sealed the shit out of everything down below with seam sealer primed and undercoated everything.

Think they came out well for my first fabrication project on this rig.

Back