NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Tow Rigs, Trailers, and Other Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Tow Rigs, Trailers, and Other Tech Discussion Have a Tech question NOT related to an XJ or MJ? Have Tow Rig or Trailer questions? This is the place to get help.

Old March 19th, 2012, 09:18
NAXJA Forum User

2nd Gen Dodge Cummins VS. 2nd Gen Gasser

Im in love with this truck.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=231053

But can buy a 98-01 Gasser for around 4k.

What do you guys think would be best?

Pros and cons.

I may tow my jeep 1 to 2 times a month. (currently my DD)

Old March 19th, 2012, 09:27
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins VS. 2nd Gen Gasser

Diesel Pros:
- More power/easier towing
- Better fuel mileage
- Longer lifespan

Cons:
- More expensive initial cost
- Harder on parts due to power and weight

Gasser Pros:
- Cheaper initial cost
- Easier on parts
- Quieter (if that makes a difference to you)

Cons:
- Less power
- Worse fuel mileage
- Less resale value

This is a debate that could go on and on forever, and a lot of variables come into play.

How far do you plan on towing? If you're looking in the 2nd gen Dodge range, I'd go with at least a 3/4 ton since it will have heavier duty suspension/brakes/steering.
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:31
Support Your Local Trails

^This.

Are you going to DD the truck or the Jeep? Diesel is ~.20/gal higher here, which is making it cheaper for me to DD the Jeep instead of the diesel Sub. If I had a little more disposable income, I would sell the Sub and buy a 1500HD or 2500 GMC 6.0L CCLB gas pickup for tow/DD duty.
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:34
NAXJA Forum User

i would prob keep the jeep insured and drive it on nice days, to take the kid to get ice cream and to get to local trails.

I only live 4 miles from work so the amount of driving I do is minimal, Unless of course i had a diesel I'd probably drive it more on the weekends than the wife's XJ (what we use for traveling any distance), simply for the "kool" factor.
Old March 19th, 2012, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

I would definitely get a 12 valve cummins or a 24 valve. 24 valve is nice and powerful, but the 12 valve is literally unkillable. I'd go the 12 valve/manual tranny if you can find one. Trannys in those 24 valve cummins are known for giving some issues, mostly shifting in and out of overdrive.
Old March 19th, 2012, 14:37
NAXJA Forum User

Does that seem like s good price on the cummins on the link I posted?
Old March 19th, 2012, 14:51
NAXJA Forum User

Definitely seems like a good deal, they sell around here for about 10k or so. If everything checks out I would definitely pick it up. Should be a 12v if i remember correctly, only downside to the 12v is you wont be able to chip it like you can the 24v if that was your plans. You can make massive amounts of power out of the 12v tho..

Well if this helps, if it was near me i know at least 4 people that would be fighting to buy that thing right now.
Old March 19th, 2012, 16:11
NAXJA Forum User

Nice. Its a 12v. Which I like, I've heard they're more mechanical and easier to work on. Which I like being my first diesel.
Old March 19th, 2012, 16:22
NAXJA Forum User

Double post
Old March 19th, 2012, 20:41
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanxj5050 View Post
Nice. Its a 12v. Which I like, I've heard they're more mechanical and easier to work on. Which I like being my first diesel.
BEFORE you say that...... remember that diesel injection systems are *NOTHING* like anything else you've worked on. These fuel systems are very, very clean inside, and very high pressure. The shop manual for my 2nd Gen 24v says upwards of 17,000 psi in the high pressure lines, and the newer CR engines are even higher.

"Jeeps are Cherokees. All other models are wannabes." Deb. K.
Old March 20th, 2012, 00:12
NAXJA Forum User

I would jump on that truck, wont last long, the truck is worth that price in stock form. My buddy had a 12v dually that he ran for 4 years without an air filter and a rag as a oil cap.. thing was straight up abused, ran exactly the same as the day he got it. If it were near me i would buy that thing.. unless its not finished yet, diesel parts are alot more expensive than gas burner parts, but in the long run its still alot cheaper than a gas burner especially considering diesels dont really get broke in until like 200k miles

But as far as the engine goes.. I doubt you will ever even have to touch that engine, thing will far outlast the frame it sets on.
Old March 20th, 2012, 00:37
NAXJA Member

There's no comparison in my opinion I just bought my truck last month, 363k miles. Its clearly better all around and able to do the job of 3 gassers. All while getting 22mpg EASILY daily driving.

When's the last time you seen a half ton gasser 10-15 year old truck with almost 400k that was desirable?

Towing my 7k pound load at 70mph, eating cheeseburgers, playing on my phone while picking my nose forgetting the trailer is back there is nice! In a half ton, your going to be "both hands on wheel with one eye on the mirror the WHOLE time"

My $0.02
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:44
NAXJA Forum User

Diesel... the older the better. You won't be able to chip them as much as the new stuff, but when you pop the hood you'll see a diesel engine, rather than a bunch of plastic crap and the emissions engine spider from hell. My ideal diesel would be a Gen1 Cummins. need more power? adjust the pump/governor. Sure chipping is easier, but the new ones won't run without a battery.

The newer ones have a lot more emissions crap, and they're always in the shop (thank you EPA). My work uses International trucks with the new DT466 equivalent (Maxxforce something), and the oldest has the DT466E. The old DT466E (early 2000s) is more reliable than the maxxforce powered trucks- due to egr cooler leaks, dpf issues, and other emissions related crap.

If you insist on a newer diesel, keep it pre-2007. No EGR coolers or DPF systems to worry about. Fewer parts, better reliability. And still chippable.

*note on chips*
1. make sure the transmission has adequate cooling. I'd upgrade the oil pan with a high capacity one, or at the least install a heavy duty transmission cooler.

2. Keep exhaust temperatures in check. Get a EGT gauge and some mods (exhaust) will help keep them down when the fuel is turned up.
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:52
NAXJA Forum User

If you want reliability/low cost, keep the thing stock.

My '01 CTD has plenty of balls to pull my 7k trailer (~2200 lb) and probably 5k lb + MJ without a problem.

And it's rated at 235 hp and 460 lb ft of torque. Which is pretty mild compared to newer diesels and even gassers.
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparManiac View Post
If you want reliability/low cost, keep the thing stock.

My '01 CTD has plenty of balls to pull my 7k trailer (~2200 lb) and probably 5k lb + MJ without a problem.

And it's rated at 235 hp and 460 lb ft of torque. Which is pretty mild compared to newer diesels and even gassers.

That's the plan. Reliable DD then tow rig.

Everybody think that 97 is a good deal?