NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 19th, 2012, 17:19
NAXJA Forum User

Re: T.H.O.R. VS Spectre

It sounds like an Industrial Vacuum is on my passenger side floorboard (inside the cabin).

I'm thinking of opening up the passenger side cowl and putting some noise insulation in the cowl area / firewall outside to see if that helps. I don't expect it to be OE Quiet, but I think the extra noise is almost too much as-is & I'm seriously thinking about putting the OE air box back in. We shall see.
Old May 19th, 2012, 17:52
NAXJA Forum User

Lol if you decide you dont like it I'll gladly take the spectre off your hands
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
It sounds like an Industrial Vacuum is on my passenger side floorboard (inside the cabin).

I'm thinking of opening up the passenger side cowl and putting some noise insulation in the cowl area / firewall outside to see if that helps. I don't expect it to be OE Quiet, but I think the extra noise is almost too much as-is & I'm seriously thinking about putting the OE air box back in. We shall see.
The Cowl drains from both sides where the fender meets the cowl. I should think that any interference with that would promote water infiltration.

What if... a 90* bend was added to point the intake away (and up) from the HVAC inlet?

The noise level is the only reason I am holding back on installing a Spectre as I really need room under the hood for other stuff. If I can get to be about the same Db level as my current (Spectre) open filter, I would jump on it.
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-gauge-steamer View Post
The Cowl drains from both sides where the fender meets the cowl. I should think that any interference with that would promote water infiltration.

What if... a 90* bend was added to point the intake away (and up) from the HVAC inlet?

The noise level is the only reason I am holding back on installing a Spectre as I really need room under the hood for other stuff. If I can get to be about the same Db level as my current (Spectre) open filter, I would jump on it.
Not sure how you'd attach a 90 degree bend to angle the hole drilled in the firewall away f/the 'dash' area. I'm also not sure how drilling out the cowl sheet metal would interfere w/the draining of water/rain since I'd not be drilling holes in the 'base' part, just the 'top' part. Really hard to explain and I didn't take any pics.

I really think removing that top part of sheet metal, opening up the plastic 'holes' in the cowl (on the passenger side) and then adding some sound insulation material on the metal (say roofers mat) and that would help a lot. I'll have to see if I can find some pics as I have seen this done before on a home-brew kit someone made.

Found the link that has some pics. This is for reference on cutting the cowl sheet metal. I would also plan to cut/drill holes on the plastic to allow for more air to come in via that way... and of course this would also allow rain/water to enter. However I think after cutting this sheet metal out I'd poor some water down to see how it drains before cutting/drilling holes in the plastic. Just to verify it drains and such.

http://ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

Last edited by Redsnake; May 21st, 2012 at 06:38.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:43
NAXJA Forum User

There is no excessive noise in the cabin, other than when you start the car, and when you accelerate at a very specific point in the throttle.

If you sand smooth the spectre intake part that connects to the firewall (use a dremel) and polish the cutout you made, so that all corners are rounded and there are no sharp edges for the air goes against, that noise will diminish even further.

I've seen someone use tape at the connection of the tube to the firewall (from the inside) and that seemed to work well...
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaromb View Post
There is no excessive noise in the cabin, other than when you start the car, and when you accelerate at a very specific point in the throttle.

If you sand smooth the spectre intake part that connects to the firewall (use a dremel) and polish the cutout you made, so that all corners are rounded and there are no sharp edges for the air goes against, that noise will diminish even further.

I've seen someone use tape at the connection of the tube to the firewall (from the inside) and that seemed to work well...
Interesting idea about polishing the cutout on the firewall and the Spectre part. Hadn't thought about that.

I still wonder if it wouldn't get air faster/easier if I were to cut the cowl area and open it up. I wish I had a spare cowl to try it on... ha
Old May 22nd, 2012, 21:16
NAXJA Forum User

Great info, subscribing............

I’m looking for a place to put a coolant filter. Instead of moving the air filter into the cowl, I can cut a hole in the cowl for a coolant filter and leave my stock air filter in place.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast; May 22nd, 2012 at 21:43.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 22:25
NAXJA Member

Been trying to chase down some noises and am having a bunch of new needed repairs pop up so i haven't even installed mine.

when i do i will have two things on my rig that i will have to tell people to watch out for the company if they like it and ask me about it.. (hate having to do that)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:01
NAXJA Forum User

I tried to get a couple vids to record the sound. It's not very easy to do w/my iPhone but I tried.

I also pulled the the intake off, smoothed out the firewall cut-out and the Spectre inlet tube that attaches to the firewall and it helped. I only had time to smooth out the lower 1/2 of the cut-out and the top 1/2 needs some work, but I noticed what sounds like a lot 'smoother' air flow and less noise. It's still very noticeable on cold startups, but when the engine warms up it's much less noticeable. I will take some more time and work on smoothing out the top 1/2 half of the cut-out and see what that does. I'm still in limbo on whether or not to cut the cowl as I pulled it off yesterday and got my light out and can see where the fresh-air inlet is sitting now for the AC/Heater blower and as had been mentioned here before not sure I want to add any more of a chance for water to get into that area and possibly leak into the passenger side floor.

Here's the sounds clips... first one is a cold morning start up... second one is after the engine was warm, windows down. Both are after I smoothed out the lower 1/2 of the firewall/intake. (hopefully they work)

Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:27
NAXJA Forum User

I have made a mess of my point on cutting the cowl...

The HVAC intake sits pretty much directly under where the cut would be. My concern is that water will run into the HVAC. Good news is, that you can alway weld the cut out back in. I did when I attempted a reseal of the HVAC.

An unsuccessful attempt truth be told.

The noise level you posted appears to be no louder than the open element I am running now. As it stands, today, the intake is about all you can hear at cold start...

Very tempting this. Could really use the room under the bonnet.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:13
NAXJA Forum User

Are you saying you intend to make your own for sale? Is that why you're offering different colors and giving a price?
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:42
NAXJA Forum User

No, where did my post go? I don't like the 3" and cobbled up welded tubing. Just saying that I am going to make my own not out of PVC but out of silicone tubing and elbows. The 3 in is only rated to 450CFM. I don't want the restriction.

Want it to look like this:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/4725383-post21.html

I want to make mine with silicone elbows and tubing, 3 to 4" elbow to 4" tubing and airfilter to 4" into the cowl. Keep it all 4" and not neck down to 3". 4" will have a better flow up to 650CFM.

Last edited by CobraMarty; May 28th, 2012 at 10:50.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post

I want to make mine with silicone elbows and tubing, 3 to 4" elbow to 4" tubing and airfilter to 4" into the cowl. Keep it all 4" and not neck down to 3". 4" will have a better flow up to 650CFM.
The silicone hose is the way to go. Can you make a silicone replacement hose for the stock ducting? I'm fine with my stock air box, but I would like a smooth silicone hose instead of the OE ducting.
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:15
NAXJA Forum User

Anyone can. www.siliconeintakes.com
Old May 28th, 2012, 13:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
COOL! I didn't know that was an option. THANKS!