• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front Tube fenders/flares

kmboren

NAXJA Forum User
Well Thanks to Cory (X1994J) for his mad welding skills and Stratton for his tube bender I was able to pull the trigger on some tube flares/fender. First it makes it legal again since my registration is due this month, second it adds protection third it will keep mud and sand off me with my half doors.

First we took some plate and lined it up with the body line and cut it to shape. It was not perfect but we got it close.

Next we cut two smaller pieces for the lower body line and welded them into place.

Next we bent tube. Cory and I have never done this so it was interesting. Considering our lack of experience we only make one wrong bend. We had enough tube that we were able to turn it around and start over. We would bend a piece line it up and then bend another one, line it up ect...

Next I clamped them into place and started to drill holes to keep it in place. I was thinking I was going to use counter sunk bolts for a clean look but decided against it and Cory suggested Carriage bolts. I like the way it is turning out. I will paint all the carriage bolts black so they wont be to noticeable. Had to do some trial and error to find the right hole to drill for the carriage bolts to fit just right.

Next was back to Cory's house for his welding skills and welder. Here we welded up the tube to the the plate.

I then made templates for the sheet metal that was going to go from the tubing to the fender. Cut them out and then Cory welded them into place. He was a stud at welding because he did a lot of welding that night. Well we finished them up. I took them home and started to grind them clean when my harbor freight grinder died. I am off to buy a new one today. Well finish cleaning them up and am going to have them powder coated next week. Then I will install them. I am going to do the entire thing black. I kind of dig the black rear quarter guards so now I will have some on the front. In the future I am going to do something similar with the rear but not yet. I want to give a huge shout out to Cory for all of his help and efforts. He is the MAN.

If you read the print instead of just looking at the pics, you wouldnt have to ask this.:twak:
:roflmao:

looks like they turned out pretty good. and if thats all the tube experience you have cory, i'm bringing over a cooler full of beer and watching you build your cage :laugh3:

:roflmao:

looks like they turned out pretty good. and if thats all the tube experience you have cory, i'm bringing over a cooler full of beer and watching you build your cage :laugh3:

Haha. Thanks a lot jack ass.

Thats why I'll will have engineer Jeff there. Him and his trusty computer will build me a sick cage. :sunshine:

And yes, that is ALL the tube bending I have done, so i'd have to say they turned out alright. There's 5 bends in a piece of tube three feet long and they still turned out ALMOST the same. :)

Last edited:
I was thinking I was going to use counter sunk bolts for a clean look..

Silver. :laugh:

The backing plate piece is 10 gauge I think, which is between 1/8" and 3/16" I believe. And the tops are prob 14 or 16 gauge.

I don't believe 5/32" is enough material to support a countersunk bolt.

Secondly, are you going to put inner fender supports? That way when you actually use these , it won't crush your fender.

Secondly, are you going to put inner fender supports? That way when you actually use these , it won't crush your fender.

I am looking at ways to do this but did not think it is a priority. They feel super stiff and strong enough now. Any thoughts on how to support it.

What makes you think he'll actually use these? :D
100_0913.jpg

I am looking at ways to do this but did not think it is a priority. They feel super stiff and strong enough now. Any thoughts on how to support it.

I have the Tomken Front Fender Armor and they use a piece of DOM wedged in between the fender and inner fender. Threaded on one side, to accept a mounting bolt. Then you just weld the other side of the DOM to the inner fender well. I haven't installed my supports either, but with hard contact, they'll be needed.

What makes you think he'll actually use these? :D

Don't know him or his Jeep. Just making a comment.

Just dropped these off to have them Powder coated today. I should have them back in a couple of days.

Nice work!... I've been planning on doing the same thing except I don't have access to a tube bender so I'll by some pre bent tubes from jeeptubes.com and have a go at it

I have the Tomken Front Fender Armor and they use a piece of DOM wedged in between the fender and inner fender. Threaded on one side, to accept a mounting bolt. Then you just weld the other side of the DOM to the inner fender well. I haven't installed my supports either, but with hard contact, they'll be needed.

Got any pics of your tomken fenders installed?

What size tubing is it? 1-1/2"?

It turned out pretty damn well I think... I am digging the flat fender look too. I may have to copy a little of the design. :D

What size tubing is it? 1-1/2"?

It turned out pretty damn well I think... I am digging the flat fender look too. I may have to copy a little of the design. :D

You got it. Hopefully will get them back this week from being powder coated and then install them. Will post more pictures of the final results. Glad you like them. Good luck on yours when you start.

Back