• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noobfest '10-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Who: Anybody who wants to come. No restrictions on vehicle or experience, just bring and open mind and a willingness to learn.

What: A chance for people who are new to the sport, or new to their rigs, to get out and have some fun. Additionally, there will be an opportunity to learn a few things essiental to having a safe and enjoyable wheeling experience. We'll have a few chances to get some rigs stuck and then demonstrate how to SAFELY extract them, using several techniques. Hi-Lift, winch operation, snatch blocks and their uses, tow straps (including which kinds are acceptable for events), tree savers, etc will all be covered. Master-Pull will be sponsor this portion of the event, and even give away some recovery gear to participants.

When: Saturday, January 16th, 2010. Specific meeting details to follow.

Where: Walker Valler ORV Park, about 15 minutes outside of Mount Vernon, Washington. This is a great place to put your skills to the test, offering a little bit of everything for everybody. Walker is in the foothills, and it's not unheard of for there to be snow. How much, if any, we won't know until closer to the actual event, but even if it does a lot can be learned.

A further goal is to assess the state of our adopted trail so we can plan for future maintainence efforts, though what it looks like in Sping will likely be different. Anyway, here are a few pics from Walker Valley:

CIMG5633.jpg

Cimg4418.jpg

WalkerValley033.jpg

Feel free to post questions, comments, concerns, queries, etc. See you on the trail!

-----Matt-----

I'll request the day off.

:thumbup:

~Scott

So where`s Walker from Bonney Lake? And I`ll be there for this.

About 2-3 hours I believe? If you go and take Brian (thethinginthewoods) or head up with 98Cherokee or something, I'd be happy to show you guys how to get there from Everett (about an hour north).

Google does wonders though, type in "Walker Valley ORV" and you'll find maps and directions and such.

~Scott

Im in... sounds like a good time and my junk should be fixed by then!! Hopefully the wife will let me out of the house with a 3 week old baby at home :scared:

To the best of my knowledge I'm IN for this. I've been wanting to run Walker and this is a good excuse to get me up there.

Good stuff Matt and MP!!!

i will try to make it. i will probly follow tim (cherokeefever) over if i do go

To be totally honest to you Portland guys, this may not be the best one of these to come to. I plan on doing another one in the Spring (before NWFest sometime) and a couple hours further South at Tahuya State Forest (near Belfair, Wa). Not only is it closer, the weather should be nicer and there are good places to camp.

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of coming, by all means do, just letting you know there will be an event that may be better suited for y'all.

-----Matt-----

There are motels in Mt. Vernon, 15-20 minutes away, for those that need/want overnight accomodations.I would not camp at Walker, especially in frigid January. Not sure how it is lately, but in the past Walker had it's share of troubles with tweakers running around stealing and vandalizing rigs, running the park at night shooting guns, and other unsavory activities.

Don't get me wrong, Walker is awesome for a day run. I'm going to try and make this with Ol' Yella. I weep for the image of my XJ in the background of the first pic. It's feeling like I've lost a limb or something the last couple of months.:(

Well then, now that I'am not invited.....:eye:

j/k:spin1: A trip north to check out other places, such as tahuya would be nice!.. I'll push for spring! (cant wheel and then stay in a hotel.. gotta camp!)

To be totally honest to you Portland guys, this may not be the best one of these to come to. I plan on doing another one in the Spring (before NWFest sometime) and a couple hours further South at Tahuya State Forest (near Belfair, Wa). Not only is it closer, the weather should be nicer and there are good places to camp.

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of coming, by all means do, just letting you know there will be an event that may be better suited for y'all.

-----Matt-----

A Tahuya noobfest in the snow would be fun, that or TSF. I'm not driving all the way to mt vernon

Part of any trail run is learning to work together, and conquer the obstacles. It might mean a long day of little movement on a frozen trail, but lessons will be learned. We did a snow run last year that only moved us about 10 miles in several hours, but it was still fun. And if we did the same run again, the things we learned would take us much further than 10 miles now.

Back