• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boatsides...

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I havent made a thread in a tech forum in a while...

here goes...

decided to cut on junk, and put stuff up higher.

my rockers were cut out and replaced with HEAVY ASS 2x6x.188 at one point - and I could still run full doors at the time -
p2210001.jpg

p2210002.jpg

I decided it was time for a sawzall, I bought the DeWalt 12 amp. I couldnt justify the extra $40 for the 13amp... It kicks the shit outta the DeWalt 18v cordless that ive used in the past -
p2210003.jpg

p2210004.jpg

cut at it for a bit on saturday -
p2210005.jpg

p2210006.jpg

Initial cut height -
p2210007.jpg

removed the heater/AC thing/HVAC fan/box thing - I'm going to put the winch there -
p2210011.jpg

fawker is HUGE ! It wont even fit in my garbage can!
p2210012.jpg

Ratchet Straps - good for dashes!
p2210013.jpg

went to Lowes and bought some 12ga formed angle iron with pre-drilled holes for plug welding - $13.99 for a 6' stick... kinda expensive, but I dont know of a product that would be cheaper and do the same thing.
p2220017.jpg

cut the floor off even with the already re-enforced 'frame' -
p2220018.jpg

buncha layers of steel in there -
p2220019.jpg

stuck some of the 12ga in there -
p2220021.jpg

used some metal glue gun with sparks to get it to stay -
p2220022.jpg

did it section by section to keep the floor from separating too much. the areas that arent cut are the studs for the factory seat mounts. Havent thought up a good solution for that one yet...
p2220024.jpg

stared that the front leaf spring hanger for quite a while, and decided to just cut the floor off from around it and re-enforce the same as the frame -
I know they're going to get battered now... oh well, maybe then I'll buy 8 more Large Rubicon Express joints...
p2220026.jpg

looked around my garage for a bit, and found why Lowes might have that material in stock... yes - my rig is ghetto...
p2220028.jpg

at some point I sat in the drivers seat, and thought to myself - you know - if that sheetmetal over there, wasnt there, I would be able to see the passenger front tire better...

so I cut more -
p2220029.jpg

View from drivers seat now -
p2220030.jpg

yesterday I was able to spend about 3 hours working on it - I got the rail in place - 2x2x.120 - and one leg - 1.5x1.5x.120
p2260033.jpg

from the front -
p2260034.jpg

side -
p2260035.jpg

lots o missing sheetmetal...
p2260036.jpg

the plan is to stick the winch where the heater core and fan were, we'll see how that pans out...

I *might* go work on it more tonight.

I think I figured out how to make the winch mount while walking around in the carrier dry dock at work today of all places...

awesome! very nice.

sweet, very impressive.

What are you going to skin them with?

How much did that HVAC stuff weigh? You completely getting rid of the dash?

where can I buy this "metal glue"? Does it come with the "sparks"? Looks good man and just because something is very useful does not make it ghetto.

What are you going to skin them with?

How much did that HVAC stuff weigh? You completely getting rid of the dash?

Skins will either be like .095 steel, or .188 aluminum...

the weight wasnt much - less than the empty M8000 that i've been lifting into place... maybe 20lbs?

Im actually hopeing to keep 100% of the dash - including the glovebox...

where can I buy this "metal glue"? Does it come with the "sparks"? Looks good man and just because something is very useful does not make it ghetto.

sadly, Coors is stoping production on Sparks... :gag:

huh? whattt? how come? :(

Ranger,

Are you going to use pulleys to get the cable to the front? or did you have some other plan?

thanks

i'm thinking it's a winch for sideways rollover recovery...

I havent even started on the winch mount yet guys - the winch is just chillin there because i'm using it to figure out how much to cut.

winch mount will be similar to Goatmans...

Very nice!

So will this make you float better or worse ;)

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the progress.
Michael

Back