• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

uh ohhh...Rubicon?

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if this should go in the tech section...i didnt want to post up on a wrangler forum b/c obviously they will try to get me to switch. I have an 04 WJ w/ 30k on it so i was thinkin about trading it for a rubicon. Sounded worth it w/ D44's, lockers, 4.10's and a 4:1 crawl all from the factory. Only problem is i dont think i should keep my XJ so i might end up leavin the XJ world for a while. What do you guys think? The XJ is stock, only thing i've had a chance to order are some 32" KM2's on rock crawlers but i can swap those on the rubicon anyways. Any opinions? First hand experience?

Not sure if this should go in the tech section...i didnt want to post up on a wrangler forum b/c obviously they will try to get me to switch. I have an 04 WJ w/ 30k on it so i was thinkin about trading it for a rubicon. Sounded worth it w/ D44's, lockers, 4.10's and a 4:1 crawl all from the factory. Only problem is i dont think i should keep my XJ so i might end up leavin the XJ world for a while. What do you guys think? The XJ is stock, only thing i've had a chance to order are some 32" KM2's on rock crawlers but i can swap those on the rubicon anyways. Any opinions? First hand experience?

If I had a Rubi Unlimited, it would be hard for me to justify keeping the XJ. The XJ's are getting old. Eventually, almost all of us are going to have to consider new vehicles.

Do you need a family vehicle (creature comforts, space, gas mileage) or a short-commute daily driver that you can play with. A Rubicon with a budget boost would be nice for the 32s you have, but gas mileage isn't great and its loud and cramped compared to a WJ if you have kids. A buddy of mine had a new Rubicon but had a 100-mile round trip commute, gas mileage was killing him. He traded it on a new 350Z and a built 99 XJ. 350Z for play on the road, and XJ for play on the trails. :)

LOL i dont even remember why i bought the WJ at this point. I'm 24, no kids, no girl, no reason to need a luxurious suv like that. I think i saw one lifted and liked it...that might have been it...but then decided i missed my old XJ i built. I agree on needing a newer vehicle eventually, the 95 XJ i was about to build only has 55k on it! If i had the space to keep it i'd park it and make it a trail rig.

If I had a Rubi Unlimited, it would be hard for me to justify keeping the XJ. The XJ's are getting old. Eventually, almost all of us are going to have to consider new vehicles.

You're out of your mind but you are right! I'm gonna drive mine til she blows and drop another motor in it. I want a 4dr Rubi or a WJ as my next jeep!

You're out of your mind but you are right! I'm gonna drive mine til she blows and drop another motor in it. I want a 4dr Rubi or a WJ as my next jeep!

Of course, it depends on what use you put your vehicle. Mine is a daily driver and is starting to show it's age. I can't justify having a trailer queen so I'll have to replace it at some time. The big question will be with what. I like the Wrangler Unlimited.

The XJ replacement will be a 4 door sahara for me, don't want to fool around with fancy selectable diffs and stuff, Going to be a hard top to start too.

My dad's got an 08 JK rubi.

He takes the bypasses and watches the XJ's on the fun lines.

For that same 50k, you can build one hell of a solid XJ.

You priced a fully loaded rubicon, all the power/comfort options, steel bumpers with winch and offroad lights?

it adds up.

WOW, I know I can get a pretty comfortable Sahara 4 door for under $25K, probably less now if it's on the lot, just have not been working here long enough to know if it will work out, for now the wallet is staying shut.

Hell no! You will have to pry my dead cold fingers off my XJ's! As long as I can turn a wrench I can keep them running, if I can't get parts I'll mcgyver the things together.

I like the Rubi, don't get me wrong, and I have a new 08 JK that I like but it will never last as long or take the abuse I have put these XJ's through. The trannys suck in them(auto) but I would love to have the T-case and the front/rear axles out of a TJ Rubi

Maybe if jeep would grow a pair...
Then they could build us a new Chero.
How about one based off of a 4dr jk, throw some old school XJ styling on there.
Id buy one in a heart beat.
I think im going to make a thread about this....

I've got an XJ, the wife has an 03 Rubicon. Both have been solid. The XJ is a good travel rig since it holds a lot more gear but the Rubicon was more capable out of the box.

WOW, I know I can get a pretty comfortable Sahara 4 door for under $25K, probably less now if it's on the lot
Add about 3K to that and you can get new Rubicon 4.10 axles from DC and drop 'em right in.( Dealers will even roll it into the financing)

I'd build the WJ.

Back