• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C q's. Works,shuts off, works...

HEP111

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ 4.0, stock engine....???
Just wondering as I dont know much about a/c... mine works great for 10-15 minutes, then blows warm for 5-10 min, then blows cold; the cycle repeates itself over and over. Had it recharged, took a 1lb. Didn't do anything different. Had the same prob. last year. no known leaks. Funny thing is when I stomp on throttle it will start blowing cold a few seconds later for 5 min. or so before blowing warm again. Clutch going bad? I've never pulled over when it started going from cold to ambiant temp. but i'm pretty sure the clutch did not disengage or I would have heard it. Any thoughts gents?

A pound is close to half of your freon. Probably a pretty serious leak somewhere. If the high pressure side has a leak, it will pump the freon out of there pretty quick. Then the system will shut down, because the low pressure switch doesn´t have enough pressure. The low pressure switch keeps the system from sucking air in, when the freon is low from a leak (and/or freezing up the condensor when the thermostat fails). When you rev it up or the freon pressure equalizes (while off) between the high pressure side and the low pressure side, you may have enough pressure in the low side for a quick cycle, until the freon gets pumped over to the high side again.
If you´ve got any air in the system, it will also do strange things, pump might pump, but the system doesn´t cool well or at all. The high pressure line to the compressor (and often the compressor) will get really hot (like finger blistering hot).