• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 (P.O.S.) questions NEED HELP

xjfanatc

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question in regards to the 2.8 motors. I unfortunately have one in my 86 xj that needs replaced (needs something different i know). My question is will a motor from a front wheel drive work in my xj? I do know that the main difference is that the starter is on the oppisite side of the block. Will/Can the housing be unbolted and swapped with the motor I have in the truck now and put on the front wheel drive motor. I dont remember from when I replaced the motor the last time. Any help with this is greatly welcomed. Oh yeah the reason I ask is the 2.8 FWD motor is the at the best price, FREE!!!

The GM 2.8 V-6 used in 84-86 XJ's is a traditional front to back layout.
All the frontwheel drive engines that I have seen were transversal designs.
Anything can be made to work, given enough time and money, and a well equipped machine shop!, but I don't think that this route will be worth it.
I had two V-6 XJ's and although they are gutless, they were dependable.
Rebuild your 2.8 or work towards a 4.0 l. swap.

This was my third engine One rebuild and one fresh brand new long block which lasted only 5000 miles. This was just a cheap fix until a more suitable fix could be done. The FWD will not work? I wasnt sure if the housing could be swapped with hand tools or if it needed to be machine shop done thanks for any further info.

xjfanatc said:
This was my third engine One rebuild and one fresh brand new long block which lasted only 5000 miles. This was just a cheap fix until a more suitable fix could be done. The FWD will not work? I wasnt sure if the housing could be swapped with hand tools or if it needed to be machine shop done thanks for any further info.
it just won't work.

not to mention that the fwd block has no provision for the mechanical fuel pump, it's internally balanced and for all the bs you'd have to go through ON TOP of making it start...

that's MORE work than swapping in a 3.1/3.4L

stop wasting your time on 2.8Ls... I went through five of them. you've gone through three. go 3.4 or go 4.0L and NEVER LOOK BACK!!!

3.4 is my ultimate plan but budget doesnt agree right now. I just miss the 4WD my 2WD isnt cutting it anylonger LOL thanks for the input though.

xjfanatc said:
3.4 is my ultimate plan but budget doesnt agree right now. I just miss the 4WD my 2WD isnt cutting it anylonger LOL thanks for the input though.
You will spend a ton more on what you're proposing than swapping in a 3.4L. Our 3.4L set us back a whopping $450 & $90 to machine the 2.8L flywheel. Ya got's gaskets etc to buy too but for WELL under a grand ya can have a sweet runnin' XJ.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jeepcherokee1/Project XJ/Project XJ.htm

Swapping in the 4.0L is a bad idea on an old XJ (SJ) w/ a V-6 - the firewall's different & some other issues.

Not saying that the 2.8 was a great engine or anything like that, but I'm surprised that you guys went though so many of them. I never did any insane wheeling or bogging with mine but there were lots of miles crawling through the woods and deep snow, trapping, hunting, fishing ect., and I had good luck with mine.
I'll never go back from the 4.0 l. though!

I'm gonna venture a guess that the original poster (like myself) bought a longblock from ReCon.

ReCon engines are Junk. 3 of them were warranty replacements, after that. I got some of my money back and told recon to pound sand. for a while, I borrowed a 3.4 from a buddy of mine, it was built for the drags and it was a FUN fawkin motor (was in his firebird that he wrecked) well, eventually he either wanted $$$ or his motor back, so I bought a leaky old 2.8 from a junkyard dropped it in ran it for a couple thousand miles and then sold it.

Yes I did buy the wonderous recon motor. my mistake. I was just looking for a cheap fix until I had money to do it right. As I said the FWD 2.8 was free or else I would never bother with it. Oh well I will continue to wheel the 2WD for a little while longer. Thanks for the help guys.

Back