• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How's the ride?

kelly klassen

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm trying to decide which coils to go with up front and so I'm looking for a poll on who has what and how it works. I'm into firm (but not harsh) and have a 190lb winch/bumper combo, and would like to end up at about 4-4.5" when all is said and done. Height isn't too important because you can always cut a coil down or space it up a little, I'm more interested in getting the ride. I'm basically looking at ZJ coils from RE, Terraflex, Currie (jeepspeed progressives), and Rancho. So here's your chance to brag or rant, how's the ride?
Thanks.

I have a set of Rustys 3" coils with 1.5" coil spacers. The springs are very soft. If you want firm, dont go with Rustys.

AARON

Keep in mind that when you cut down a coil you make it stiffer. I found the article with formulas for calculating spring rate, and from that I was able to determine that the rate increases inversely to the decrease in coil length to the first power (i.e. not the length difference squared). If you have a spring with 10 coils, and you cut one off, you shortened it by 10%. The rate would increase by 10%.

Don't leave shocks out of the equation. Perceived ride stiffness or harshness is a function of shocks as well as springs. My '88 XJ has the original factory heavy-duty springs (no lift, just higher rate). With Rancho 5000s and with KYB Gas-Adjusts, the ride was horrible. I'm into "firm," but these were both incredibly harsh.

You have to match the shocks to the springs.

Correct me if I'm wrong Eagle, but I can't see the spring rate changing if you cut off a coil. If the wire diameter, diameter of the coil, and coil spacing (pitch) remain equal, the rate should not change. Now if you the cut coil and lengthened it to the length of the original coil effectively changing the pitch of the spacing, then I do believe that you are correct. I'm very interested in learning more about this. Is this article online? I think I'm going to be pulling apart a ball point pen to check this out tonight!;)
With my jeep, I used to have 3.5" in it with some Moog dual rates, 2" spacers, the winch/bumper and Rancho 5000. It was what I'd call perfect; I loved it. The lower rate coils were virtually completely compressed though and all that was actually working was the higher rate section of the spring. Then I decided to sell the Jeep and stripped it and went back to stock. As it turns out, I'm now keeping the Jeep and now have plans for 33s on 4.5". I would like to end up with the same ride. I don't have a lot of experience with different shocks, but with the combo I had before, it WORKED. If the 5000s (Which I still have and plan to use) are relatively stiff, then I guess that rules out going with the 240lb/" Rancho coils, right? And the 250lb/" would also be right out. Would you say this is a fair assumption. Perhaps I should be looking at the Teras or REs in the 200 range?
Thanks.

Back