• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duramax vs Old J20

lol nothing with a diesel is a ricer in my opinion :D
Its possible to screw up anything
ugly-truck-21.jpg

diesel j-trucks are old news

check out my flat biller bro points

379158_521290375014_226300669_307665_585555109_n.jpg

Dude how many cans of monster can you fit in the bed of that? You think there's room for my pitbike back there with the stacks? I'm thinking about getting metal mulisha 20s with some 35" nittos.

neither, get a dodge ram with a CUMMINS :greensmok

im assuming you are planning on towing your rig on a trailer, you'll definitely want a diesel truck for this. I've experienced the whole towing with an old gas V8 truck and its no comparison to towing with a turbo diesel. if its just going to be your tow pig, why waste your time with an old gas sucking jeep truck just to keep the jeep theme? diesel will be mo betta with mo powa and mo mpg = win!
if you're not set on a duramax you can find older dodges and fords for less $ and arguably the same if not better reliability.
He's right! Diesel for tow is best but I'm not shire Duramax is the way to go. Chinese built and all. The transmission in the Chevy is worth it though.The motor is good but so are ours. I just do not understand why Chevy the supposed HEARTBEAT of America put a foreign diesel (Chinese) in it's pickup. Baseball, apple pie, and MADE IN CHINA, WHAT the H. That was it for me. The 7.3 and non computer 5.9 are great the 5.9 gets outstanding fuel mileage while the 7.3 (both stock) will pull the hills better. The 7.3 being the biggest C.I. wise is my choice. Both are a dime a dozen for used or new parts and if you don't mind shifting 5 speeds they are even more reliable. Either way auto or 5 + your keeping the U.S.A. label.

He's right! Diesel for tow is best but I'm not shire Duramax is the way to go. Chinese built and all. The transmission in the Chevy is worth it though.The motor is good but so are ours. I just do not understand why Chevy the supposed HEARTBEAT of America put a foreign diesel (Chinese) in it's pickup. Baseball, apple pie, and MADE IN CHINA, WHAT the H. That was it for me. The 7.3 and non computer 5.9 are great the 5.9 gets outstanding fuel mileage while the 7.3 (both stock) will pull the hills better. The 7.3 being the biggest C.I. wise is my choice. Both are a dime a dozen for used or new parts and if you don't mind shifting 5 speeds they are even more reliable. Either way auto or 5 + your keeping the U.S.A. label.

Duramax engines have been made in Moraine Ohio since 2006, fyi.

SPOBI!

The Duramax has been made in Ohio since it was introduced. That same Ohio plant made the 6.5L GM diesel prior to the Duramax.
I believe the block is/was German and the crank is Japanese before all the machine work in the Ohio plant. Never Chinese.

Dude, if you want to drive a Peterbuilt, just buy one. No amount of JC Whitney chrome is going to boost your pickup to an 80,000 GVW

Real clever ,very origional...I see the tax payers dollars have finally paid for the specials needs schooling in your village ...:laugh2:
Maybe someday they'll reach yours to help you understand that stacks defeat the purpose of a pickup truck, and as such look stupid. ;)

You've got no taste ...a set of 6-7 inch miter cut stacks with a big ol' tool box some bed rails nerf bars and 35-37's is pimp'n on a Diesel truck...stacks on a gas burner = dumb.
I made a weedwacker roll more coal than your riced out diesel flatbiller truck yesterday. Stacks on a pickup are retarded.

To get back to the OPs thread I'd suggest you get what you want. If you can live with modern trucks looks and construction then go new. If you prefer (like me) the unique style of the old J-trucks then go that route. If you can find time while DR to search you can usually turn up a J-truck that has already been converted to a diesel. To tow there is NO substitute for a diesel!
The 4bt is an easier fit in a FSJ but the 6s are easier to find (now, thanks to the 4bt gold rush) and maybe even cheaper. The biggest fitment issue seeme to be the factory heater box. Its been done and there are quite a few diesel FSJs running around now. Google and you will see. If you can find a 2nd gen Dodge that is wrecked you can make your life a little easier but the easiest would be to find one already done or close to it.
Good luck and be safe.

For the crowd of people hating on stacks, that is your opinion keep it to yourselves. Some people think lifted Jeeps are stupid. Why do you people always think that because it is your opinion that it even matters? Quit hating on how other people spend their money. If you don't like it, don't put it on your truck...otherwise stfu.

*Disclaimer*
No, I don't own a truck with stacks.

lifted jeeps are functional and get you somewhere. I can't even leave my yard without 4wd and can't get firewood without some lift and 4wd.

stacks just look dumb. And yeah, they can do whatever they want with their money, doesn't mean I have to approve of it.

I still vote J20 with a 4/6BT in it. Way better than any of those silly chevies... disregard the number of GM parts Jeep used on them :eyes:

Dude, if you want to drive a Peterbuilt, just buy one. No amount of JC Whitney chrome is going to boost your pickup to an 80,000 GVW

What do stacks have to do with a GVW ?...The new Semi trucks we have in the fleet don't even have stacks with the new Emissions systems on them and their DEF B.S. But Stacks look good on a pick up.

I made a weedwacker roll more coal than your riced out diesel flatbiller truck yesterday. Stacks on a pickup are retarded.

I don't have stacks on it...lol...Yet , But will shortly ...But will be leaving the DPF system intact until warranty is up then I will Delete it , So no Coal from this 6.7 since it sill has a DPF ...And I will not be putting on stacks to roll coal out of them ...just for the looks....But how the hell do you Rice out a Cummins ?

Back