• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan question

frank1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 1992 4.0 auto XJ, which is about the most bare bones vehicle I've seen since the sixties.
Not having air conditioning it does not have the auxiliary electric fan, however it does have mounting points for it, the plug to feed the fan is wrapped back into the harness, and the relay box has a spot for the fan relay.
Does anyone know if I can take the fan, relay, etc., out of a wrecked XJ and expect it to work in mine, or would the PCM not activate it due to it never having had air con.?

Don't really know the full answer, but the best thing would be to try it out. Worst case, you would have to add a manual switch. If you really want to know before you add the fan, block off the radiator until it gets up to at least 230 and check for voltage to the plug.

Even if it doesn't have A/C it should activate on the temp from the sensor so I'd say give it a shot.

Otherwise you could just wire up a fan with a manual switch in the cab to keep things cooler under the hood.

With a properly functioning sensor, the fan should operate (if you install the relay). I would also install a fan switch, so you can also engage the fan if/when you feel necessary.

Back