• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Dana 30 Swap Questions?

jeep_87_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
first of all this is what i have:

-'87 cherokee with command-trac, NP231, Dana 30 front with 3.55 gears, WITH vaccum engaged 4 wheel drive-uh
-'86 cherokee with selec-trac, NP242, Dana 30 with 4.10 gears, WITHOUT the vaccum engaged 4 wheel drive crap

this is what i want to do:

-i want to put the NON-vaccum engaged axle under the '87 cherokee WITH the command-trac and the VACCUM engaged axle

here is why i am doing the swap:

-the inner knuckle on the '87 xj have been bent from some nose diving when off road

here are my real questions:

-that is the swap possible and will i still have 4 wheel drive?
-will i still have 4x4 with the non-vaccum axle and the NP231?

THANKS

jeep_87_cherokee said:
first of all this is what i have:

-'87 cherokee with command-trac, NP231, Dana 30 front with 3.55 gears, WITH vaccum engaged 4 wheel drive-uh
-'86 cherokee with selec-trac, NP242, Dana 30 with 4.10 gears, WITHOUT the vaccum engaged 4 wheel drive crap

this is what i want to do:

-i want to put the NON-vaccum engaged axle under the '87 cherokee WITH the command-trac and the VACCUM engaged axle

here is why i am doing the swap:

-the inner knuckle on the '87 xj have been bent from some nose diving when off road

here are my real questions:

-that is the swap possible and will i still have 4 wheel drive?
-will i still have 4x4 with the non-vaccum axle and the NP231?

THANKS

D30s are pretty much interchangable if you keep the brakes/steering/hubs in the similar years...

If you swap in a non-vacuum axle... the 4WD part is purely mechanical (yank the lever back, you get it in either hi or low)

Does the non-disco donor axle have u-joints the steering knuckles or closed rubber boots?

You probably know this but you will need to regear the rear to match. JIM.

Just plug the excess vac lines and the 4wd will work fine. You may find that to get the 4WD dash light to come on that two of teh vac lines will need to be joined. You'll have to play around with it.

X2 on rear gearing the rear end to match. Unless your planning to swap the rear from the '86 as well.

Are you sure it has 4.10s and not 3.73s? I didn't think that the 4.10s came in the automatics?

I would go with a non vacuum disconnect axle. I did and it was one of the best upgrades I have done to the XJ. Pull back on the lever and forget about it.

No more wondering if it is engaged or not, or worse finding out it you have no 4wd while trying to cross a mud pit.

of course i was going to match the gear sets front and rear ,thats a given. yea the '86 cherokee i got is an automatic and yes ( lucky me ) has the factory 4.10 gears, it was like a factory tow package, and yea i does have the factory hitch also ,der, i think i heard this axle i was swaping in was HP- but really i dont know....... wasn't a bad buy for a rolling $200 bucks hell that was a steal, thanks - watch out mud hear i come- i hope

Back