• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Save the Date! Moab 2018

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
***October 9th - 13th, 2018***

NAXJA is holding the 35th Anniversary Celebration of the introduction of the XJ in 1983 on October 9th-13th, 2018 in Moab, Utah. The BOD has set the dates for the Moab event in 2018 and they want you to start saving your pennies for fuel, saving your precious vacation time, and wrenching on your junk, to prepare for this event.

If you have never been to Moab or only go every 5 years, this is the event to plan to attend.

There will be more information coming along as plans are set in stone, as well as an event forum, the BOD wants to get the dates out now. If you are interested in planning, helping, trail guiding or anything else that goes into making a event successful, please email or PM me. If you are a NAXA sponsor and are interested in being apart of this event, please PM me or sponsorship as we'll be coordinating efforts for opportunities for NAXJA vendors. In the coming days, I will be getting in contact with those who have helped in the past to see if they would like to help again in 2018.

To get an idea of what to expect, you can find the event forum for the 2013 event by clicking on this sentence.

It's well worth the trip. Only 488 days left!

mac 'they say you are planning your next Moab trip before you leave Moab' gyvr

Matt 'macgyvr' Rowland
Moab 2018 Event Coordinator
[email protected]

I'll be there...in my JK.

Since my Jeep has done all the trails when Andy owned it I think I will have to attend and try to run some myself. Purple Is The New Chrome is going back to Moab!

October 9th - 13th 2018 is Tuesday - Saturday, is that correct? I think I will stay an extra day.

Last edited:
Yes The official event is Tuesday to Saturday with big raffle and dinner on Friday night.

Some folks will do a whole week, others will do a partial week.

mac 'purple people eater' gyvr

Did sunday to sunday last time...Gonna be tough with a school job now, but I'm gonna try to do the whole week.

Snow?

Once again, I will blame Tim.

It rained a day or so during the 30th.

Is this going to be cross-posted to the other regional sections? Maybe a dumb question...

I just ask since I just moved away from socal and just happened upon this thread, but hadn't seen one in the midwest section. There is at least 3-4 of us in the Midwest section that would be in for this trip.

Ok, I have some research to do before I know if I can go, since I have never been and will have to at least take the kids if not the whole family.

First Question, where to stay? Cabins, motel, campground with toilet and showers. If the whole family comes I will need one of those. Any suggestions? How soon do I need to make reservations? Approximate cost?
If it is just me and the boys I just need to know where I can park the Jeep and put up the tent.

Second Question, is Moab an easy and relatively inexpensive place to get any/everything we might need, or do we need to pack and bring food, drinks, toiletries, etc?

Third Question, do people usually drive all the way in one day, or do you stop overnight somewhere? Either way, driving the Jeep, or towing it, we are going to be going around the speed limit and will probably get really tired on the way. Las Vegas is only about a third of the way, but probably the easiest to find a place to stay.

Third Question, do people usually drive all the way in one day, or do you stop overnight somewhere?

I plan to stop in Las Vegas, win enough money at the craps tables to pay for the trip, and then make the long drive to Moab the following day. What could possibly go wrong?

First Question, where to stay? Cabins, motel, campground with toilet and showers. If the whole family comes I will need one of those. Any suggestions? How soon do I need to make reservations? Approximate cost?
If it is just me and the boys I just need to know where I can park the Jeep and put up the tent.

Second Question, is Moab an easy and relatively inexpensive place to get any/everything we might need, or do we need to pack and bring food, drinks, toiletries, etc?

Third Question, do people usually drive all the way in one day, or do you stop overnight somewhere? Either way, driving the Jeep, or towing it, we are going to be going around the speed limit and will probably get really tired on the way. Las Vegas is only about a third of the way, but probably the easiest to find a place to stay.
1. Slick rock campground has been the main area for most people in the past. It is a very nice cg, flush toilets, showers, pool, hot tub, "store", etc. There are small cabins available. Another option is renting a house for the week, there are lots available in moab, just Google.

2. Moab is pretty much a real city, it will have anything you need within a five minute drive of the campground

3. I've driven straight thru and stayed half way, either way works. If you decide to break it up...mesquite is a much better option than vegas. Rooms are $30 a night, plenty of parking, and much closer to "halfway".

Ok, I have some research to do before I know if I can go, since I have never been and will have to at least take the kids if not the whole family.

I have done Moab with the family once, as a family camping trip, not as a wheeling trip.

We were camping in Arches. From my perspective that is not far out of town, and it is a beautiful setting. But if you want to be where the party is, that probably isn't it. But if the whole family is going and there is a desire to see some really cool geographic features then you probably need to plan on making reservations 6 months in advance. I don't recall any showers, but they did have flushing toilets and a wash tub where you could do dishes.

As a town Moab should have everything you need. Grocery store, Napa auto parts, fast food...

We did it as a two day trip, towing a pop-up. First night was spent camping on Mount Charleston, a bit NW of Vegas. Still made for a fairly long second day.

For planning purposes I would say that you should already have in mind the idea that you will need to go back there again after this trip. There is no way you are going to see and do everything you are going to want to see and do in a matter of a week. Kids will need to be older before you can do things like hike Fiery Furnace, but you could certainly do at least part of Devil's Garden. And Canyonlands is also in easy striking distance.

As time gets a little closer we will announce where the event campground will be. Slickrock has gone down hill over the years and likely will be the least likely place.

Moab is a real city, with most everything.

From Indiana we stop in Colby, KS after the first day.

mac 'and yes cross posted in all chapters' gyvr

1. Slick rock campground has been the main area for most people in the past. It is a very nice cg, flush toilets, showers, pool, hot tub, "store", etc. There are small cabins available. Another option is renting a house for the week, there are lots available in moab, just Google.

Sadly Sickrock isn't what it used to be. It's always been a bit of the more raggity option but it's gotten even worse. It was noticeably worse in 2013 and has only gone further down from what I've heard. It's gotten so bad their insurer won't allow campfires on property (what amazed me was that they had insurance!).

Unless they suddenly improve that is not going to be our HQ for 2018.

All of the above!

Moab has most of what you need. I only bring the items that I'll have a hard time finding (i.e. Western Bagels and alcohol).

I always stop half way to sleep. I've never actually gone to the point of getting a room though, my usual stopover point is the rest area just North of Beaver, Utah.

It rained a day or so during the 30th.

It always rains at least one day in Moab during Fall Fling. That's okay, it's part of the charm.

In 2006 it rained every day and I still enjoyed it.

IMG_0062-la.jpg

And you can visit snow nearby in the LaSals!

Back