• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spectre Air Filters

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I searched, apparently these haven't been discussed here. The Spectre cone filters (a kind of K&N knock-off) you buy at Shucks or Auto Zone, anyone have any experience with them? Do you clean and service them just like a K&N? Mine was filthy, so I cleaned it just like a K&N, knocked off the big chunks and dust, sprayed it with the K&N soapy solution, let it set for a bit and rinsed it off from the inside with a gentle hose spray. Now my question is, do I oil it like a K&N? The element is pink, but didn't change to white when I cleaned it like a K&N does.

Anyone have any info?

Doug

i do, i actually peiced together my own spectre intake and its been doing fine for me, unlike k&n i dont get any dust on the throttle body and you can hear a difference in the exhaust and i defintily felt a difference with power as well as what felt like cleaner shifts in the tranny

and NO i do not oil mine

So it's okay to clean it like a K&N, just don't oil it like one?

well it doesnt come oiled, so i wouldnt do it

I agree with bluejeepkid, I have a custom made intake with a Spectre filter. I clean it with K&N cleaner, but dont oil it.

next time you take your filter out to clean it hold it up to the sun and look through the element(post clean). I would be weary of not oiling it... To each their own and I dont want a long fight with links to every filter company known to try and prove a point. I am just adding a tid bit that mAy help.

i built one for my big jeep and it does really well. when im out wheeling i keep it in a box enclosure to keep the mud and what not out. highway travels i take the box off and then its more like a "cold air" intake.

im thinkin bout makin another one for my other xj but i need to covert the TB to a HO from the renix.

the spectre filter for the 4.0l intake kits is listed on the website as p/n 889833... on the details page for the filter is states...

"Factory pre-oiled and ready to install. Use p/n 884820 Accucharge kit to clean and re-oil."

Treat it like a K&N filter.

I have a Spectre Cone on each of my Jeeps.

Going on 6 years now and they have been oiled since day one.

Except for some discoloration, they seem to be like new.

Spectre also has cleaning kits for their filters at AutoZone or wherever you bought it. It needs to be cleaned like a Spectre...

I'm going to get a mesh prefilter cover for mine to keep out the heavy dust since I have an open cone filter.

Back