• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flaring Ss

REDDOGG.XJ

Fire up the roof.
Searched but didn't find an exact answer. I'm rebuilding the rear lines on my D44 in SS but my flaring tool won't touch it. The tubing just slips through the die. None of the tools I've looked at say anything about SS and none of the treads I read said any thing about flaring SS.

Thanks,
REDDOGG.XJ

I've personally never flared ss before. But there are hydraulic fittings that have a crush sleve built in for this stuff. basically cut ,bend and slide in.

Be sure to tighten the nut down good!!!

Normally you can find these fittings at most hydraulic shops. (or at least in my area)

I've had these fittings up to 10,000 lbs in hydraulic tests.

If you’re talking about a compression fitting for brake work I doubt it’s legal. I use SS Swagelok fittings everyday in the powerhouse. Personally I would trust my life to a brake line that used a Swagelok fitting but I don’t think the insurance company would pay up in the event of an accident.

REDDOGG.XJ said:
If you’re talking about a compression fitting for brake work I doubt it’s legal. I use SS Swagelok fittings everyday in the powerhouse. Personally I would trust my life to a brake line that used a Swagelok fitting but I don’t think the insurance company would pay up in the event of an accident.

Yea that's the name of them. I use them too. Didn't know if your rig was trailered or not. I'm going to redo all mine when it's no longer street legal.
Allready have someone to make me some off road brakelines (braided ss).

Quick ?.

What is the wall thickness of the line? I might be able to get some answers for ya on Monday. You've peaked my intrest and now I have to know myself. *L*

JeepFreak21 said:
I thought brake/gas lines were always stainless :confused:
Billy

Believe it or not I have seen some stupid people try to use refrigeration tube!

Well I bought the RIGID 345 flaring tool today. It worked perfect with my Craftsman double flare dies. I work with several rod guys they said that SS was bad about slitting so go slow and use a little lube. Alittle lube never hurt anybody.

Problem is my bender only does 1/4" so mabey I'll find one at work tomarrow.

Cool didn't get to ask anyone today. I know Rigid makes a cool little bender, I think it bends 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 tube. See if you can find one of those!!

They work really well and leave very clean bends.

I've got the RIGID bender so I lined the heal and brake with leather and it worked well enough for me.

Back