• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get metal in Tucson

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Where is a good place to get metal here in Tucson? I just need a metal block that I can grind down to the right size and then drill and tap for the forward spring hanger bolt and nut that I broke off. Is there a specific type of metal I should be looking for that is stronger than others? This is all new to me. TIA.

I'm here in Tucson too. there is a metal/welding type place on 1st between Grant and Roger...or about in that area on the west side of 1st. i forget the name...never been in there, but it looks like a nice place to get metal... Ive only been here a few years and haven't done any fab while in tucson, so thats about all the help i can offer.

Where are the good trails here?

-J

Thanks for the info jjvande. I've only been here for 4 months now and my Jeep's been in the "project" stage for the last 2 months, before that we had the fire on Mt. Lemmon. If you want some hardcore stuff, try Martinez Canyon up by Florence though. There is mild, hard, and extreme stuff there. There are tons of offshoots too like Ajax Mine and others.
I got a chunk of metal from Superior metal, but while using my angle grinder to cut the right size out (7/8" thick) it blew the motor in the grinder. Oh well, it's under warranty. Anybody have good luck with a specific brand of angle grinder? Mine is Black & Decker, which is semi-name-brand, but didn't hold up.

i did a bumper project over the summer and i used a milwakee (sp?) 4.5" grinder to cut a lot of the 1/4" metal. held up like a champ. I went through about 6 or 7 cutting discs and one shirt (those sparks are hot hot hot ). home depo sells em.

We shoud get our jeeps in working order and have a Tuscon XJ fest sometime. I'm waiting on my D44 to arrive next week! yay!

I did look in the phone book and found several places to get metal, but i think that we need to find a salvage type place to get it cheap.

BTW, im in a Gold '88 with long arms ..... peace
-J

xj92/jjvande........

We usually make a couple runs thru the Martinez area this time of year!Have you made the entire run thru the canyon/louge!

I dont know what place is the best place to get metal in tucson is but I do know where to wheel. I go out with the azvjc which is an internet club they have a very well laid out web site which is azvjc.org. On thier web site is a list of almost every trail in arizona with ratings and pictures.In my opinion the best area for wheeling is the florence junction area which host such trail as hi-way-to-hell and upper and lower woodpecker both very hard-core but there is still trails for the noobies. I enjoy running with the azvjc and hope to see you on the trail

I didn't make it all the way through. I got about a mile into Martinez Canyon with 31's and 3.5" lift before I ran out of water to drink. I'd only been in the area a few weeks and it was 113 degrees that day with the wife and son. Not fun. It was very time consuming with the clearance I had.

places I use

I usually use Santa Rita Steel located (ironically enough) on Santa Rita. Its just north of 22nd down near Park I believe. They're about the cheapest I've found for tubing, angle, and bar. You have to buy 20' but they'll usually cut in in half for free. If I'm desperate I sometimes buy at Abbot Metal Fab (on Price I think?). They cost more and since they're primarily a fab shop they can be (and have been) a bit flaky when it comes to selling steel. On multiple occaisions I've ordered steel and told them the day before exactly when I expected to show up to pick up the steel and it either wasn't there or the guy who was supposed to cut it was at lunch (for like 2 hrs), and on one occaision their bandsaw was broken for close to a week so they couldn't cut up my stock. Very helpful!

Back