• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

off camber recovery tips?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
if anyone has links or advice on off camber recovery ide appreciate the read through. Today we had a fellow yota manage to try steering around a rock on a perfectly flat road and ended up off the road at a slant. just checking if anyone has good knowledge or wisdom for this situation. i learned i have more recovery gear i need.
on a side note ive learned some on what ham/vhf can and cant do which was surprising.
is anyone using HAM radio in their rig? how useful are they in the rockies? does it help to have radio with repeater access?

anyway,
BIG BIG BIG thanks on behalf of commerce city fire department for getting this guy off the trail. amazingly generous humbling people that made every possible move to help in recovery on their own time. ide buy them a keg or something and it wasnt even my rig, seriously above and beyond.

Last edited:
For offcamber situations, point the long end (front or back) up or down hill. Gets a lot less offcamber.

one winch, no snatch block. this wasnt even somewhere this kid should have gotten in trouble, but he managed haha.

I went to Spring Creek March of 2011 the shelf road had sections of snow pack and on the 2nd or 3rd it was.basically ice , so I slid and just missed going off the mountain. The back tires were already mostly off . I spent 1hr basically cutting ice blocks out wuth my shovel I strapped the sliders and tied off to a tree then we ran the snatch block off a tree up hill to the rear bumper and slid it over I.to the section I cut out with the shovel and ba ked it out while still strapped and hooked to the winch..lol...then got turned around and went home .

Multiple attach points if possible. Anchor recovery rigs. Remove passengers of recovered vehicle. Winch slow.

Much appreciated gents,
It's becoming clear to me, after a few of these experiences, that it's one thing to be prepared for issues, and it's another to know what to do/not to do.

I just went through this I'm July. We had a 5 ton cargo slide off the road and get stuck offcamber at the edge of a very steep drop. We put 1 wrecker on each corner and alternated pulling with the 2 of them to slide the truck onto the road sideways. I've got a video but don't know how to host it.

Another tool I'm not familiar with using is adjustable chains, ones where the hooks hug links. Any preferences on these where to source reliable chains?

I'm thinking we could make an event out of a recovery clinic...

I'm sure a few of you are familiar with these guys.

https://www.facebook.com/CO4x4RnR/

They are holding a recovery skills class on the 10th of September, but it might be a fruitful connection to reach out to, they are starting to do some monthly trail runs also..

Careful. I've had some interactions with the guys on that group. There are some good ones, but there are a lot of bad people on there too.

As a guy who does recoveries for a living (TRAA, TRPC, Wreckmaster certified), I feel as though I have a fairly good handle on the technique of recoveries. When I tried to help on a recovery and pointed out a few serious safety concerns, they blasted me online after and banned me from the group.

A lot of their trip leaders are guys with zero actual experience, and their plan of attack is usually to hook as many vehicles as they can fit in the area to the casualty and yank until something moves. There is no thought into the physics and math of a recovery, of which usually makes everything easier and much safer.

I would offer NAXJA the same thing I offered them. I'd be happy to put together a shortish (1-2 HR?) "class" type of thing. I'd come teach it every 3 months for free. I'd even be willing to put them together in different areas of the state. All we need is a place and a time. Some time explaining all the good maths, and some time pulling someones Jeep around a dirt lot is perfect.

Last edited:
Yeah that was my experience as well. Lots of big heads pushing their way and their way only. When ya see the way they rig and pull stuff it's a good giggle. I'm no pro by any means. And I am always up to learn more so I would totally say a class on recovery is great idea.

Yeah that was my experience as well. Lots of big heads pushing their way and their way only. When ya see the way they rig and pull stuff it's a good giggle. I'm no pro by any means. And I am always up to learn more so I would totally say a class on recovery is great idea.

Ha, I've definitely yelled at some people like that. You'd think after 10 tries and you've only made the situation worse you'd try something different?

If there's was a little class thing along the front range I'd go as well.

Back