• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico Night Run Saturday Oct. 22, 2016

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Got glow sticks? :roflmao:

Got aliens?

Meet Lorrie and I for running the loop under a half moon. Tentative meet up time is 8:00 pm. Exact location is still up in the air a bit as the Alien Invasion Ghost Haunt may result in some confusion near the entrance to the gohst town.

Tow points front and rear required.

Skid plates and rocker protection recommended, especially if you're close to the ground; rain gutter protection might be a plus if you're not.

Re: Calico Night Run Saturday Oct. 22

If you guys haven't run calico at night, you don't know what you are missing!

I havent been there in about a year. Hows the washed out trail area 1/3 way up lower duran, thats up against the mountain? It was Very sketchy last time I was up there especially if wider than stock TJ/XJ.

I was up there about a year ago in my narrow xj, had no issues

I'm a bit wider than stock. Are you referring to keeping the roof off the wall? I haven't been there in a few years. Either way I'm sure it's doable.

Here is a very old picture of where I am talking about. this is years ago, like 6 or 7 years. The trail that hugs the mountain to the left in the picture was getting very narrow between the mountain and the drop off, due to erosion and use. And the vertical climb on the right in the picture was almost the only way thru/up...

dfh2Um9ein_6SLGB08ySEuP74AEAPNQODoaNSHG7UhMEllRwo0Bu-FBeogYswLLkc9fW2AZ8juhn6ZXDYTwciOWY9QA6lhbIqTNVj5OC2pjH24G7nLwD7Az4xqvLiUl4FG7mkBp9mAClRHbfzu4BMW6a5v2zStyu4PswB4gA4fw7VEF1RYCPHk682JaA24I1MNOisIEnd2jJu74JUZVbgiae0fcytWtvVJ_ikJKYCEsjEgb5F9e5ENxtgM3ogCoa-Sj5U9p7kpkhLZS0IEuaUAP8wNwQ_s0xgLFpRG-uiMavDikYbdbi2UIGJzhGwXgD9csLHoRJI_e2vYjFeeuC1pJaseNMroHKWoPeN6CTJx_KoCNWprnN8UEyUeFxqdmnBrkObiYLun8ephTMO15u59pwY-SwAXwFtsPVze-XMio9JimZMUanoY7kiaDVIv50kC76YXkB-dC7xZQL_lCLRkKcZZyNw_WBrwLReqB-0_nHqKgaHQBmwN40VP530sVQ5LzKGbQtctC5um9yPqg3LWZ3IbBoFtHUYzwIWArO1ImYGvb8YGVVbNcOuLcnXH69ntY_nTvs-KHh0ooGysbm8WqXPt-T5oFy7o5oXnnhV_juVhmm4Q=w958-h718-no

It was pretty narrow when we did SoCal Fest at Calico in 2012.

1.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember that spot. MJ fit thru there 4 years ago, but I remember scrednek matt having to drive off the cliff in his wider than full width xj.

Worst case scenario we can turn around and take a different route. Thanks for the heads up Robert, I really did forget all about that spot.

I remember that too.

EA418417-17BA-4F39-B8AC-90F47C18A47D_zpsaija27vw.jpg

If thats the same area, then its changed ALOT. That was a ledge or trial area only. That picture shows a cal trans exit. :rof:

The pic is deceiving, it was pretty gnarly where he went down.

Yep. It was pretty sketchy. Which is probably why scredneck was the only one in our group to take that route rather than risk the eroding trail.

The shelf road was narrow, but not too bad. Nelson's tires were something like 15" wide and his rims had little backspacing.

Matt went that route because he was full width. I remember he had to work to climb the ledge to get to where he was in the picture.

Man I wish I could make this. But my jeep isn't ready yet after breaking it at the mall. I lost the rear locker.. Need to get these things done soon..

Scott, you got plenty of time. Besides, you won't need a locker.

Back