• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

off camber recovery tips?

Need to hold this tutorial along side how to change a flat tire...lol

Everyone in the Towing and Recovery industry quietly judges able-bodied people who call us to change their tire. Sometimes there is a good reason why someone would call, but a lack of knowledge should never be one.

Everyone in the Towing and Recovery industry quietly judges able-bodied people who call us to change their tire. Sometimes there is a good reason why someone would call, but a lack of knowledge should never be one.

Is this a lug wrench...uh , may be .

I'm by no means an "expert" at vehicle recovery, however I went to the US Army H8 Vehicle Recovery Course at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in 2003. I then spent 3 years of Active Duty time on a M984 HEMTT Wrecker and spent all of my National Guard time E4 through E6 on a wrecker and then in charge of the entire Recovery Section with 3 wreckers and 2 contact trucks under me. Even as an E7 PLT SGT our unit is short on qualified wrecker operator's and I regularly have to oversee operations. After Hurricane Katrina I drove a HEMTT Wrecker from Boulder to New Orleans, spent a month down there moving everything from cars and trucks to a Fire Truck, a big boat, and even a crypt/tomb that had found itself on the front stoop of a house. So yeah, I've got a bit of experience on the things. Some of the stuff I see in the Jeep and offroad community has me rolling my eyes, but for the most part I try to keep my mouth shut. One thing I'll never understand is people being afraid to use chains and steel winch cable on a 4,000lbs Jeep. I've dragged 100,000lbs pieces of equipment out of mud using just that for years. I've never had a cable snap, although I have broken a few chains. Never any injuries from it though. While I appreciate the lightness and ease of use of synthetic rope and straps, chains and cable don't fray and shred when ran across sharp objects. Chains are also way more versatile.

This was back in December. We had an armored HMMWV roll over up near Woodland Park. I had to flip it back over and get it back on the road.
xlwTc3K.jpg

YPquBCE.jpg

upS8oJn.jpg

How do you roll that on rampart? Seems like you'd really have to try? Looks like you got the ultimate recovery vehicle tho!

Anything is recoverable with a big enough piece of equipment! :cheers:

Top heavy armored HMMWV, heavy CROWS turret on top of it, slick/icy roads, and E rated tires that suck on icy roads. He spun out and slid off the road, it was enough of an angle that it then flopped over.

From what they said it was a fairly slow/gentle roll but luckily the CROWS turret and a tree kept it from going any further down or finishing the roll. Truck just needed a new door and mirror on the passenger side to make it look like it had never happened.

Careful. I've had some interactions with the guys on that group. There are some good ones, but there are a lot of bad people on there too.

As a guy who does recoveries for a living (TRAA, TRPC, Wreckmaster certified), I feel as though I have a fairly good handle on the technique of recoveries. When I tried to help on a recovery and pointed out a few serious safety concerns, they blasted me online after and banned me from the group.

A lot of their trip leaders are guys with zero actual experience, and their plan of attack is usually to hook as many vehicles as they can fit in the area to the casualty and yank until something moves. There is no thought into the physics and math of a recovery, of which usually makes everything easier and much safer.

I would offer NAXJA the same thing I offered them. I'd be happy to put together a shortish (1-2 HR?) "class" type of thing. I'd come teach it every 3 months for free. I'd even be willing to put them together in different areas of the state. All we need is a place and a time. Some time explaining all the good maths, and some time pulling someones Jeep around a dirt lot is perfect.

Personally I've only dealt with a handful of them and I've had an overall positive experience, not to say there aren't bad apples out there. I would be really interested in a course on proper recover methods.

Back