• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with a SKIM issue - new PCM

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
So the Dakota died on me, "no bus" in the odometer... did diagnostics on some sensors and decided it was the PCM. Found one at a local yard for a fair price, swapped it in - starts right up (no bus problem appears solved), but dies 2 seconds later. Code P1686, which is a no SKIM bus. Appears my replacement PCM came from a vehicle that had SKIM (rf coded keys), mine does not. I'm seeing if the yard owner has a key for the vehicle this came out of, as that would be the easy fix - what else can I do as far as getting the PCM to work? Can it be done or do I need a different non-SKIM computer?:sure:

If you can get the vin number to the new PCM you could have SKIM key made and programmed, then put in truck close to steering column.

nope, as a non-skim truck I don't even have a SKIM module to talk to the computer...key won't do it (just got off the phone with the service department at the local Dodge shop)... Shop says no way to flash SKIM off of a computer, just have to find one that doesn't have it... crapola.

found a salvage dude worth his salt in Phoenix... correct version NONSKIM on the way!!

found a salvage dude worth his salt in Phoenix... correct version NONSKIM on the way!!

FYI there is a company in florida that will delete the skim for ~$125. As soon as a non SKIM ecu is plugged into a SKIM vehicle it activates the SKIM logic.

As mentioned above you could add the sentry key system if you wanted to, but that would cost even more, though make it less likely to be stolen.

And of course, you need a DRBIII to program sentry keys.

yeah, all that seemed iffy based on the web searching I did... getting an exact part number replacement seems a better option!

And thanks, DJ, your input was truly invaluable. :D

Last edited:
Back