• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire carrier hinge

nicksjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to build a tire carrier. i seen the hinge kit on a to z fabrication. are there any other companys that sell them? does anybody have other ideas that that i can use without spending $50. i am using 2"x2" 3/16 and my bumber is 2x6 3/16. my spare is a 33 also. thanks

I used a 2" thick grade 8 bolt, used a collar outta DOM and threw a greasing zerk on it. BLAM tire hinge... mint hahaha

I'd stay away from the spindles. We found there is a lack of quality control from the manufacturer that can result in outright failures, completely at random. That's why you search enough on the net and you'll find people who have ZERO problems and others who did, and with very similar setups.

Here's an example of what we're doing now, might give you an idea of something for your own setup. K.I.S.S. principle. Compared to the spindles, this is tremendously stronger...
Img_1821.jpg

Img_1813.jpg

what's inside the bolt housing the bolt goes through? any kind of bushing or anything? or is it just metal on metal?

Tapered roller bearings. Was initially going to use some sort of brass bushing, but the size was a problem. Then we looked at Delrin bushings, would work but not as smooth and something hard to source for the average joe. Wanted something that a person could service themselves, go into any parts store and replace if needed.

Tapered roller bearings. Was initially going to use some sort of brass bushing, but the size was a problem. Then we looked at Delrin bushings, would work but not as smooth and something hard to source for the average joe. Wanted something that a person could service themselves, go into any parts store and replace if needed.

that's probably the best answer i could have hoped for. good to know and good choice and reasoning.

lay off anthony... too much correcting freshman engineering student's hw. :D

would using a bushing for a trac bar(ovbviously non heim end) work as well?...
readily available and cheap/easy....???

would using a bushing for a trac bar(ovbviously non heim end) work as well?...
readily available and cheap/easy....???
no. it would sag like whoah. yes, i said "like whoah."

thats easy enough, what im having issues with is making a stop to keep it from crushing me when i open it on side hills and a latch that doesnt rattle and make all sorts of noise.

for the stopper i think im may just use a prop and put a hinge on it and a pin or something to keea it open 90* and have the pin removeable incase i want it all the way open

havent even begun to think about a latch yet other than a pin through a hole which my last one had and i hated it

If you don't mind me asking, what bearings do you use? And do they require any of the parts accepting them to be machined to fit them? Any pics of it disassembled?

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to steal his ideas.:cheers:

Trailer spindle is the quickest way to go.
When I build swing aways Ive used 1/4 DOM sleved w/ tube and then used tractor bearings from TSC. Works great.

I am about 40% into building one right now.. I am going to finish it this weekend. its the second I have done like it, I can pull it apart and get pictures. I will post tonight or tomorrow with them.

I have done two different methods both use tapered roller trailer bearings and DOM tubing.
The one I am building right now is kinda Frankenstein I am using a tapered trailer bearing on the bottom and a ball bearing from a transfer case output shaft on the top. with a sleeved 1" grade 8 bolt.

the tube from trout industries looks like the direction i will prob. go

thats easy enough, what im having issues with is making a stop to keep it from crushing me when i open it on side hills and a latch that doesnt rattle and make all sorts of noise.

for the stopper i think im may just use a prop and put a hinge on it and a pin or something to keea it open 90* and have the pin removeable incase i want it all the way open

havent even begun to think about a latch yet other than a pin through a hole which my last one had and i hated it

i cant speak for the latch other than check out what some of our sponsors uses. i like the single throw lever.

as far as a "stop" goes, the stock AMC era tire carrier uses a cable bolted to the bumper and to the swing. may want to check into something like that.

as promised,
This is the one that I have on my jeep.
And its been on there for a little over 3 years.
I am painting it (finally) this month I am going to add a high lift mount.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

and for the latch use a cam lever...
like this.
10.jpg

sorry about the pictures. I didn't spend much time

i guess stop was bad terminology, hold open device woulda been more suitable i think.

where would i be able to get my hands on a cam lever? a quick search turned up nothing

Back