• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Favorite gear?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Lets hear about that piece of gear you picked up and now cant imagine spending time outdoors without it.

Mines gotta be the AeroBed. It's the greatest thing... ever, espescially if you have back issues. I spent alot of years on a Thermorest and while it helped, it wasnt the solution.

The group i camp with would say the shower/shelter setup. It's comforting being able to take a nice hot shower after a day on the trail.

My buddys dad builds grills and such for Wolfgang Puck restaurants and he let me borrow theyre little camp grill for JV last Nov. It was freaking awesome. Im going to build one just like it. we put a little bit of pine embers under it and we had a great dinner!

n6310842_34126078_2413.jpg

He also had a big griddle that sat on it, but i didnt want to lug it around. It was pretty heavy, but perfect for morning breakfast :D

Last edited:
My favorite piece of gear is my headlamp. I take it everywhere, and use it quite a bit. It comes in handy at work and around the house too.

Mine is an older Myo3 with a bulky battery pack and a strap that goes over the top of my head. I'm going to be upgrading to a new smaller headband style all LED lamp soon.

Cool post John!

I cant honestly decide which of these three would be my favorite. I dont ever plan on going camping again without any of them, so this is my favorite "lot" of gear.

In no particular order....

Roof Top Tent:

DSCN0614.jpg

Camp Kitchen (fat boy has to eat):

DSCN0610.jpg

Custom Zodi Hot Shower:

DSCN0028.jpg

Yeah, its not exactly roughing it, but I enjoy camping, and I enjoy using my gadgets.

~James

My Surefire 8NX Commander flashlight
The Craftsman LED light my brother gave me for Xmas a year or two ago
My Cab Commander seat bag from the Duluth Trading Company.

sw..i made a grill very similar for a trip to CO back in 98, forgot it leaning against a tree at Alta Lake.

You guys are giving me ideas.

My Cab Commander seat bag from the Duluth Trading Company.

I had to google that, i see they are no longer available. A friend of mine is into western stuff, he uses a horse saddle on his pass seat. I'v wanted to do something like you have for awhile.

StumpXJ: That camp kitchen looks pretty sweet. How do you pack that thing when your bringing out to camp? and hows that tent? Id really like to get a roof top tent for my rig as well.

Thanks SW, it folds up pretty compact, holds everything inside, and it gets strapped into the cargo area of my Jeep. I can load and unload it by myself, although with all the stuff I have inside of it now, its getting a little heavy. Normally, I can have it unstrapped, removed, and set-up in about 1-2 minutes.

DSCN0552.jpg

DSCN0514.jpg

The RTT, and I think John will agree since he has one, is awesome. Its easy to set-up (about 1-2 minutes tops), and is extremely comfortable. They are a little pricey initially, but are worth every penny, especially after spending any extended amount of time camping. I have it down to about 5 minutes to fold back up, so its very fast to use. I also have a changing room for mine, it comes in handy, especially when the wife is around.

Here is a pic of the changing room on my old truck.

DSCN0218.jpg

And here is what it looks like when its all folded up with the cover on.

DSCN0321.jpg

~James

Couldnt agree more John, one of the first big project when I get back to the states will be a trailer. I cant wait to have the kitchen, tent and everything else on a trailer so I can leave camp (like to go wheeling)without having to completely close down camp to do it.

~James

For camping - $5 Coleman headlamp

For hiking - Camelbak Striker pack

Your the second guy to mention a headlamp. I never thought i would find one usefull.. guess i'll have to pick one up and try it.

While were talking lighting, i ditched all my propane lanterns for Dietz hurricane lanterns. I dont have the noise associated with propane anymore, and i'm lovin it.

Your the second guy to mention a headlamp. I never thought i would find one usefull.. guess i'll have to pick one up and try it.

While were talking lighting, i ditched all my propane lanterns for Dietz hurricane lanterns. I dont have the noise associated with propane anymore, and i'm lovin it.

They're nice, not only for outdoor activities, but also for work around the house or wrenching under the Jeep.

Mine is a combo LED/Krypton, but I usually only use the LED.

They're nice, not only for outdoor activities, but also for work around the house or wrenching under the Jeep.

Mine is a combo LED/Krypton, but I usually only use the LED.

Mine is a combo as well. I never use the krypton spot and it uses up too much of the batteries. My next one is going to be LED only.

Get one and you'll always keep it close by when it is dark out.

Three headlamps.
One for work.
One for the Jeep.
One for the house.

I have found out through trail and error to buy a good quality name brand. My personal favorite is PETZL brand lamps.

+1 for headlamps. I have a Black Diamond that always stays within reach.

My favorite piece of gear is my Jetboil stove. That little sucker is clean, cooks fast, and makes life easy. Never worry about fuel spills and flare-ups or lighting issues.

Gotta love the boots too. A good set of Merrells keeps my feet happy and the weekend fun.

I do a bit of canoe camping, I kept my goretex socks from the army and they are top notch. I can wear shoes, boots, or my Terra water sandals and always know my feet are dry as a bone.

headlamp is kick ash too, so nice having both hands to use when its dark out.

goretex bivvy bag I kept from the army too. I like having a shelter, but even without I know I can cinch it up and float if it gets real wet!

X100 on the headlamp.... I think mine is a Black Diamond....

Wrench roll to keep my wrenches together/organized/quiet....

I'm old with bad knees...... I keep a gardners knee pad called Knees Ease in my RV and take it with me on the trails.... It's wonderful when working on the ground (setting up tents, changing tires, etc......)

Back